Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Build an entire 440 HP engine for $3,200

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 05:05 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000 has them all beat. 2hp (crank) per cubic inch. Stock. So what is the better engine?
And what about power bandwidth?
Old 09-28-2003, 05:38 AM
HansB
Pro

I'm making over 3HP per cubic inch in race trim (ie able to sustain continuous loads at that HP level)...
TonyG, how does your cooling system keep up? I am running only 260 RWHP on the track, and that takes the oil temp to the max allready.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:21 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$1150.00 for a SB Chevy is cheap. And cheap parts are what you would get.
The crank, connecting rods and main caps would all be cast. Probably machined down to their limits, not weight matched and certainly not balanced. Making 440 hp the absolute max those parts should be supporting.

One thing to consider is the weight of the engine package. Which would hinder the handling of whatever its in. Now, I don't know how much a SB Chevy or the engine out of the 951 weigh. But considering I've lifted both, a bare 4.3 liter block (like a SB V8 but with two less cylinders) and the long block to my turbo, onto my work bench with about the same ease. I would say our motors are almost half the weight of the SB Chevy.

Another is the difference in the level of engineering. Night and day between the two. The Porsche engine is built soooo much sturdier.

I could go on and on. I have this debate with my American "muscle" car acquaintances on a semi regular basis.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:36 AM
John.
User

Yea, just check out Renegade's website. I got into a heated e-mail debate with the guy after reading their site. Those iron motors are good if built correctly and can be cheap, but I have yet to hear anybody tell us all what it costs to install one of them into a 944, 928 or 911. They claim lower cost than modifying a Porsche engine, but that fact remains they tell us nothing about how much all of the little crap costs for the install. You can bet a 400 horse GM V8 into a 944 will run well over $7,000.

A guy I work with started a V8 RX-7 conversion before I started the upgrade on my 928 engine this spring. His car is still not done and has a boatlaod of bugs to work out. I've been driving mine since June. Hmmm, where do I put this EFI computer and how do I wire it. But wait, there is more....power steering, air conditioning, radiator coses, larger radiator. On and on and on and on... Sure that car will be fast, but how much more does that cast iron V8 weigh compared to the rotary? You can bet it is a bundle and that car will handle like a font heavy street rod when it is done. He would have been better off to find a Turbo II RX-7 engine.

Then there is this BS HP claim. Camparing a 4 cylinder ot a V8 isn't fair. You can build 400 ponies with a 944 turbo engine without too much effort. That is plenty for the street in that car. You could easily install forged pistons and a supercharger onto a 928 for about $8,000. I'd challenge anybody to build a 400 + Hp Chevy and install it into a 928 or 944 for that money. Notice I say install, that means all the labor, hoses, clips, etc, etc. Make sure the car retains AC when you are done as well.

Then there is the engineering of the whole package. I personally like to see that all aluminum V8 when I open the hood. Stealth looking with some real trick mods.

Longevity is up for grabs either way, because any race built motor will not last like a non-race motor. Nobody can dispute that.

Not saying the Chevy engine is bad mind you, but I don't think it belongs in a Porsche and to put it there you will spend a lot of money.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:42 AM
John.
User

As for the S2000 making all that power, well that little engine lacks midrange torque and therefore lacks midrange power.

To keep a car rolling like that little one, you have to be at full boil all the time.

Honda's engineering is impressive, but I have never liked the way their cars run. You have to wind them waaaay out before they make any power. 9,000 RPM to make 250 HP, well you guessed it, there is not much torque there. That is great for a motorcycle, where you don't need the torque, but a car is a different animal. Consider that is 50% more RPM than a 944 turbo requires to make the same HP.

Pressing the accellerator in a Honda has always reminded me of hitting the go pedal on a Singer sewing machine.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:45 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Karl Glynn
Thats what PowerHaus charges. That price is for a well built, reliable motor and includes all parts and labor (as I mentioned in the original post).

Karl.
Then dont go to powerhaus . I watched my buddie build his s2 motor, first motor he had ever built. He found a set of S2 pistons new for $400. He had the block re-lapped for $150 and everything else that was involved was new. All of that on a students budget. The motor was SOLID, it's in a S2 race car right now, ended up making 205 to the wheels or soemthing like that.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There must be over zillion Chevy small blocks around. Of course it's cheaper to build it comparing to 951 engines. A friend of mine spent over $40.000 to his Pro Stock Chevy engine about ten years ago.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:33 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Jeg's has some great create deals. He must know since he lives and breathes it every day. Any make you want.

http://www.jegs.com
Old 09-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

If you are just searching for a HP target, I agree chevy motors are the cheapest and most reliable to build. If you are going for the HP per cubic inch argument...then Tony G is right on. I personally subscribe to car craft and have built 3 chevy small blocks at this point. One making 240HP, one 300HP and the most recent one at 380HP....all at the crank numbers with proven recipes. None dyno verified...but the recipe had dyno numbers on it and I have no reason to beleive that I can't assemble and engine. I have to say that building a 400HP chevy motor can be done for under 5k...pretty easily. Chevy vortec heads are tought to beat at $650 for the pair and they can flow enough for 400HP easily. I wouldn't knock chevy....you have to admire their mass produced simplicity.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:08 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

I wouldn't advocate putting a Chevy small block in a 944/968.

I was just grumbling/griping/complaining/moaning about the wallet cost of Porsche exclusivity.

Karl.

Quick Reply: Build an entire 440 HP engine for $3,200