Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does the GReddy Profec B Spec II monitor realtime boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:48 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the GReddy Profec B Spec II monitor realtime boost?

Anyone know if the GReddy Profec B Spec II has a built-in boost gauge or would you have to depend on a separate boost gauge to see if the Profec's settings are accurate?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:52 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

It does not have a guage. It does sense the boost level and actively control its actuator to keep boost constant. You do not dial in a psi setting, rather you just turn a **** (like a volume ****) until your car is making the boost you want. Another **** let's you decide how quickly the boost should build. A little switch let's you choose between a low setting and a high setting. It is simple as can be, and does its job very effectively. I've tried others and always return to the Profec B.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:00 AM
sean.
Advanced

Actually, the new SpecII does have a boost gauge and it reads in real time. It reads in bar and sort of in psi. The new Profec B will give you a three digit number you move the decimal point over to the left to get your boost reading in psi. For example 100 equals 10 lbs of boost...not a big deal, but its annoying.

The new one works pretty good, but it uses the a different solenoid than the old one. The new one uses a single solenoid (like the Apexi AVCR) instead of the dual solenoid setup it used to have. I don't think it is any different in functionality, but some people believe that a dual solenoid setup is more stable...again, I don't think it's a deal breaker.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:39 AM
Redeye
Racer

Can you use the older dual solenoid with the new spec-II?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:19 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the Spec B, and like the guys above have already said, its a very intuative, simple yet highly effective system. It can not only record and store peak boost but has a 'max boost' feature which holds the last recorded peak boost in a dynamic situation before continuing to display realtime boost. This is great when balsting through gears, every time you let up the unit flashes the highest boost recorded. Makes it very easy to see boost spikes.

My only complaint is that the soleniod is noisy. It could just be where I have it mounted, I have mike mounted to the firewall and will change the location to see if I can isolate the ticking noise more. Other that that, its a very nice unit.

Quick Reply: Does the GReddy Profec B Spec II monitor realtime boost?