Old 09-22-2003, 11:17 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch Master cylinder

The little nipple connection on the top of my clutch master cylinder is leaking. The hose from the brake resivour runs down and connects to this nipple on top of the clutch master cylinder via a hose clamp. If you wiggle the hose, the nipple rocks back and forth on top of the cylinder. It looks like there may be a little O-ring between the nipple and the cylinder. Is this something that can be glued back on or sealed with some RTV gasket goo, or do i have to replace the whole cylinder?

Thanks

Karl
Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealing with clutch and brake....well imho i'd go ahead and relpace it to be safe, maybe other faults i may be inclined to rig but this no
good luck
Old 09-23-2003, 12:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been awhile since I looked closely at the clutch master but I seem to recall that supply nipple is plastic and you could turn it any direction you wanted so the supply line could be routed smoothly. So it must have an O-ring seal. Before you junk the cylinder pull that nipple off, maybe you can get a new O-ring and solve your leak. The only problem may be that the plastic nipple base has become deformed or you deform or break it pulling it apart. It's worth a shot. There may even be some rebuilding kits that include the nipple.

I don't think any sealant goo is going to work very well and you may also have a problem find sealant that will withstand the hydraulic fluid. The fluid is very corrosive.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks iceshark. Yes the nipple is plastic and turns and i can see an o-ring, so i will try and pull it off and see what i can do with it.

Thanks
Karl
Old 09-23-2003, 06:41 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

If you do need to replace the clutch master cylinder, they are not that expensive, but are a pain in the **** to do. Anyway, here is a link for the clutch master cylinder, they are $65

http://www.944racing.com/Search/View...earchType=Main
Old 09-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Turk
Instructor

Thanks W88951, i saw they were not expensive. Unfortunetly the hole to reach down there is very small, and i have scrawny arms, and it still looks to be a major pain. Anyone have an suggestions on what has to be removed inorder to get the thing out. I know there are some rubber hoses that can be moved, but there are 2 metal ones that dont look like they can be moved. How bout tools? 1/4 socket drive looks to be the only thing that would be small enough to fit.

Karl

Last edited by Turk; 09-24-2003 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:11 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok, so I sprayed around that nipple with a bunch of brake cleaner, and tried to see if the o-ring was shot. It looked good, so i loosen the hose clamp on the hose that connects to the nipple, and wouldn't you know it had a 1 inch gash down the side of it. So $1.27 in hose and the leak is solved. Thank god i didnt have to pull off that clutch master cylinder.

Karl
Old 09-24-2003, 07:33 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karl, Well that is good. Did you use a hose that was rated for brake fluid? If you don't the hose will disolve from the inside out and all the rubber will get into your clutch system and cause a real mess, then suddenly fail.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yea, the parts guy said the hose was good for brake fluid.

Quick Reply: Clutch Master cylinder