Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coatings and lowering underhood temps.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coatings and lowering underhood temps.

I've read lots about header wrap and sending the manifolds out to places for coating. Cool air = more HP.

How about "Doing It Yourself"...I'm a fan of DIY powder coating and was flipping though Columbia Coating site and came upon their Ceramic Chrome Paint.

I do my own powdercoating and thought why not ceramic coating. Same heat reduction benefit but at a fraction of the cost.

What do you guys (girls) think?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:43 PM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you maybe you could ceramic coat all the ports on a head.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run ceramic coated intake manifolds on my NA's. Cant "feel" a difference per say but it should help.

I use the Columbia coatings satin black but you have to go have it cured in an oven that reaches the curing temps needed.

If you do a search I posted a pick a while back of one of the manifolds I did.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

I was thinking the DIY thing for exhaust manifolds and the crossover pipe, etc. As the exhaust ports in the head are already coated I don't think I would mess with them.

What are your thoughts on thr L/R intake. Love to see any pics.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 09-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

That looks great Travis!

DIY powdercoating is great which is what prompted me to post this thread...Did you consider it for your exhaust manifold, etc?

Thought I would get opinions from the most knowledgeable group on the "net" before I spend my hard earned and ever depleting supply of $$$
Old 09-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Your exhaust is easy. No curing needed. The ceramic coatings that I used on the intake above when put on the exhaust does not need to be cured. After you spray it and let it dry it is still a little tacky to the touch but its not wet by any means. When you put it on your car you do a long hard run with it for about an hour. This brings it up to curing temps (smokes like a bitch though). After it stops smoking then its done and you have nicely coated headers.

I did the temps of the intake with a laser thermometer and they were around 25° cooler after 30 min. on the outside of the intake.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:11 AM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Lindsey Racing Intake Manifold but it also was the worst investement for me as in Parts only because I still have the stock Head. If i was smart i would have waited untill i could buy the Intake Manifold and head together. But since the head would be close to $4,000 with all the goddies I decided that the small power increase isnt worth it. Which brings me to either sell the Intake Manifold of wait untell everything else has been upgraded and then i would save the cash to get it. Intake Manifold and head together should flow very well but when you only have a high flow intake you still have to jam all that through the ports. If i see a good Head on ebay or something and its cheap and in good condition than I will get it.

I quickly learned to plan out what I should get and what i parts need to be baught together.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike, I highly recommnend Jet Hot. Here are the temp readings before and after:
Before
Day temp 61°
Drive the car for 30 minutes, couple of boosted runs through 2nd and 3rd
Drive the car back home, in the garage, shut if off and read temps, lazer temp gun
Exhaust 490 on heat shielding -530 just out of the head
Intake 93-95 on the runners 103-105 on the flats
Turbo down pipe, 460-472

After Jet Hot
Day temp 59°
Drive the same, then home
Exhaust 298-316
Intake 86-88, 92-96 on the flats(outside coating only)
Turbo down pipe, 298-308

We just did a complete system with them for a friends car, exhaust manifolds, X-over pipe, turbo down pipe, and intake manifold. Without shipping it was $329 for everything. If you call ask for Todd Bieswenger.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:49 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

87Porsche951

I've got a trick head off of a 2.85L engine, with a Web Cam (larger cam). The head also has larger than stock valves, and extensive intake porting, custom valve guides, race springs, light retainers, and is "O" ringed.

Also, if you get rid of the intake, I might be interested. I've got an intake that has been cut into pieces, ported, then welded backup. It works real good. Much better than stock with my Milledge head.

I would be interested to do a back-to-back test to see which one performs better... interested enough to buy it 2nd hand.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Travis - sflraver

I think, and I could be wrong since it's been years since I read up on coatings, etc... But I seem to remember that black was the worst color because of it's absorb radiant heat.

This is going years back... but I read a big write up on engine enamels and color choices to use on race engines.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

You might want to consider the Thermotec. I use it on my turbo hot side and on my turbin intake and exhaust. The difference in underhood temps is dramatic.

Also you can get the material and make a header "blanket" which should eliminate a huge chunk of underhood heat.

Summit Racing has the stuff (www.summitracing.com)

Quick Reply: Coatings and lowering underhood temps.