Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TheAllusionist Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TheAllusionist Build Thread

Getting close to having all the little maintenance items finished and thought I would act like one of the big boys and start a build thread of sorts. Some of the following has been posted in introductions etc., but thought it would help set the context for my journey.........

Introduction:
I had a black 1988 944 in the 90s and loved the car, but had to sell it and get a family car when my step sons got a bit older and we needed a family car. Shortly afterwards the marriage ended and I was stuck with no family and a four door sedan! ;(

Fast forward to present time re-married and my wife works for a doctor who has heard the story and knows how much I liked the car. He has/had (mine now) a 1986 944 turbo with 47,600 original miles, LSD, Porsche factory qualifying race software, and we had great discussions about it and he just made me a heck of a deal on it as he just ordered an Audi S8 and needs the space in the garage.

Anyway, when I had the NA 944 I was envious of the Turbo versions, now I have one and love the power once you get it up on the power band, both of them are a tad squirrely tramming on roads with tire treads worn into them unless you are on the gas a bit, but I have a grin ear to ear when I am driving it. I got a wife and my Porsche back, kind of hoping I will get my hair back to! LOL

Over the last year or more I have gone through all the phases it seems the veterans have gone through, from what is the best way to make it go faster to currently wanting to respect the car and enjoy driving it. Of course I have plans for it, but plan on trying to keep them tasteful. The car had timing belt and water pump replaced at 45,000 miles by a German mechanic the doctor used before he retired, so I am good on major items.

Last few items to take care of:

1. Sunroof that has a mind of it's own at times so I have the relay out for the moment. I have a replacement microswitch to try out and if that doesn't do it then I have to look at motors, etc..

2. Replace AC compressor, I have the parts, oil and charging kit.

3. A sound in the rear that two shops thought was a bad passenger side rear wheel bearing. The mechanic I have been using has had it for a while, he replaced the wheel bearing and there is still the woo woo sound I guess and when it is up on the lift there isn't a sound or any indication when running high speeds in air or turning by hand. He is only charging me for the parts he bought and not labor since he didn't fix it.

When I first brought the car to him a year ago or more he noticed that the terrible shop that the doctor had currently been using due to them being friend of family had one of the wider rear wheels on the front and one front on back. They also didn't replace all the under tray and batwing bolts back and drenched the engine compartment when doing an oil change. This shop did work on my step daughters car because doctor recommended them and they did a botch job, so I know it isn't an isolated incident.

So the current thought is that something is wrong with a tire as he thought when he switched sides the sound changed sides, so I need to either put on some used ones on back to verify first or bite bullet and buy new ones and be done with it hoping it fixes the problem as I have already poured unessesary money into this problem. Anyway, getting close.

Recent service done to car:
Timing belt and water pump at 45,000 miles.
New axles and CV joints with seals at the output shafts.
New hood and hatch struts.
New drivers seat upper (not actual new, just great shape, like new.)
New turn signal switch.
New Heater control switch.
New center console lid.
Glove box hinge arms.
Sure there is more, but you get the idea, I have been replacing anything worn out or broken.

Parts in hand that I may or may not install:
New Vitesse MAF (will do a stealth application if I go that route)
LR Boost enhancer.
LR Stage 1 intercooler.
LR Dual Port wastegate.
LR catback 4" exhaust (will need downpipe section for complete system)
LR cubby face and gauges with manual boost controller
Ported intake manifold matched to large bore throttle body.
Bursch Testpipe
Steel braided gas lines.
1988 951 M030 double adjustable struts
968 coil over M030 rear shocks
New carpet mats and hatch carpet.
Saratogo sunroof.

I plan on doing suspension upgrades and stealth mods to engine for now and will follow up with with specifics and questions in next post. but first some pictures!
Attached Images       
Old 09-09-2015, 01:13 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Suspension Upgrades:
Starting with the suspension I have some questions. The car will be driven on the street, but I hope to drive to Seattle sometimes and race at Evergreen or autocross events. So being able to tell the sex of an earth worm as I run over it, isn't necessary, but an aggressive race orientated suspension is acceptable.

Looking at installing the M030 double adjustable struts (after sending in for rebuild probably, they supposedly have only 50,000 miles on them), currently with springs with two white and one yellow dots. On the rear I am looking at installing the 968 M030 coil over rear shocks with green dots. Supposedly the rear suspension with these springs are equal to a standard rear end with 27mm torsion bars.

I was looking at buying from the Porsche dealership 968 M030 sway bar set (30mm front sway bar and 19mm rear), but I wanted to make sure that this was the best combination or if I should go with different sizes?

I plan on installing stainless steel brake lines and the test pipe for good measures as well and then I will come up with a game plan for tasteful performance upgrades, but mainly enjoy driving it!
Attached Images      
Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks awesome!

For your suspension, keep in mind that the '86 was the only year for the turbo being early offset, so some suspension components aren't compatible with later years. I also know that people that track their 86 don't trust the aluminum control arms, but it sounds like you aren't doing too much racing so you may be okay. It is a cheap and easy swap to OEM steel arms if you choose.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice car. From all the LR parts you listed, it sound like the PO tried, in steps, to increase the power band. I'd recommend you spend some time on TireRack using their research tools and reviews to find a set of new tires as it sounds like the ones you have are failing internally. I've used them on several sets over the years and it's proven to be the best way to select replacements.

I'm currently restoring an '86 turbo (it's my first of 4 944's) and getting a real education. The PO's had just driven the car and screwed around with stuff but used a tractor mentality where repairs were concerned. It was a barn find so that's appropriate. I can't wait for mine to look as good as your's looks. Welcome back.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by konakat
Car looks awesome!

For your suspension, keep in mind that the '86 was the only year for the turbo being early offset, so some suspension components aren't compatible with later years. I also know that people that track their 86 don't trust the aluminum control arms, but it sounds like you aren't doing too much racing so you may be okay. It is a cheap and easy swap to OEM steel arms if you choose.
Thanks! It has some paint chipping at outside edge of door threshold as if someone hit it with their shoes getting in and out, a couple scratches where someone keyed it on back quarter panel and two small spots on hood as if heat from below or oxidization and chemical spill blemished paint. It has original paint, but I may have some touch ups done to make it look pristine for its age, it is pretty nice now, but addressing those few things would really make me feel proud for age of car, etc..

From some of the investigation I have done I was under the assumption that these struts and shocks should fit on my car, but that I may want to get camber plates for adjustability, I sure hope I am not wrong! LOL

I have heard arguments on both sides of steel vs. aluminum control arms and if I was going to track it a lot I would investigate more, but appreciate the heads up. Right now I just want to upgrade the cars suspension to the apex of what the 944/968 factory options were and then enjoy it. Steel braided brake lines are part of that for me.

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Nice car. From all the LR parts you listed, it sound like the PO tried, in steps, to increase the power band. I'd recommend you spend some time on TireRack using their research tools and reviews to find a set of new tires as it sounds like the ones you have are failing internally. I've used them on several sets over the years and it's proven to be the best way to select replacements.

I'm currently restoring an '86 turbo (it's my first of 4 944's) and getting a real education. The PO's had just driven the car and screwed around with stuff but used a tractor mentality where repairs were concerned. It was a barn find so that's appropriate. I can't wait for mine to look as good as your's looks. Welcome back.
Actually all the parts listed are ones I have been picking up over the last year or more since I got it. I realize I am a compulsive type 'A' personality and that perhaps I should respect such a low mileage car, so I watch ebay, cragislist and forums and when I see a deal swoop in, but haven't gone hog wild and installed them. I got a new Vitesse Maf for $500.00 for example, but will wait until after I have enjoyed car for a while and have a solid game plan.

Thanks for the suggestion on TireRack, I looked yesterday just typing in the tire size for rears and it looked a bit dismal, but haven't devoted much time to it, just picked up car on way to work this morning. I will try using the tools you suggest.

Look forward to seeing your cars progression and pictures.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good so far, gotta love black 951's

For tires if you are only looking for summer/warm driving take a look at these

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Dougs951,
Thanks for the compliment, I also really like the tan (gray) on black interiors, my 1988 NA had a black interior and it was nice, but I prefer this one better.

As for tires, I will research them, what I have on now is the Bridgestone Pontenza RE730 and they are in like new condition. I stopped by tire store last night just to see if they had any used ones around I could get just to troubleshoot and they commented on how they looked brand new as well. So I was researching tires last night (local shop said the Cooper Zeon RS3-A were a good tire and reviews online seem to back it up, but not certain I want Coopers on a Porsche! LOL is that elitist?) and trying to find the same tires I have now for the back, I came across numerous reviews and comments on how noisy these tires are and one guy even said they got so noisy he thought he had wheel bearing problems! I was thinking crap!, I just wasted money on some shop time and it was noisy tires! &^%$^&*^#@*&@#!!

So the dilemma is whether I get just rears or all fours since one rear was on the front and one front on the rear, maybe some funky wear has occurred front and back? I don’t want to waste money, but tired of messing with it and just want to drive it.

The other question I have is regarding sizes as the tire you linked isn’t the size that I believe a 1986 944 turbo came with:

Tire Size Front 205/55VR-16 (Currently my car has 225/50VR-16)
Tire Size Rear 225/50VR-16 (Currently my car has 245/45VR-16)

I am curious if I should stay with the initial factory size or if there are better options that don’t throw the speedometer way off, etc.?

Random Musing:
Earlier mention about the aluminum control arm being weak and earlier steel ones being an option brought to mind the first time I got under my previous 944. My first car was a 1947 Chevy Fleetmaster and I still have it, so you can understand what I was used to working on, so imagine my wonderment of being under a 944 and seeing the aluminum parts, the engineering and attention to detail, I was amazed and so proud to actually own such a fine example of automotive engineering and quality refinement. Not everyone probably experiences the joy and wonderment from admiring fine automobiles that some of us do, but I can still get a smile looking at the masterpiece I own and a smile is on my face when I take it out for a spin!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The main reason people go to the 225/245 combo is a little more grip. 225s on the rear can really limit how much power you can put down.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Thanks for the information!
Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Replaced AC compressor today, will charge system tomorrow. Boy what a chore, that one back 13mm pivot bolt was a freakin pain.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:35 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Looks good so far, gotta love black 951's

For tires if you are only looking for summer/warm driving take a look at these

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Thanks for the suggestion on tires, I did a lot of research and decided to get some. It was a long search to find a set of 225/245 combo in the Bridgestone Pontenza RE 11, but they are being shipped to the local Firestone store and either this week or the next week I should have them installed! I just hope the strange sound is gone.

I just acquired a set of 2 year old Lindsey racing 968 MO30 LR SWAY BAR KIT with the early offset adapters, drop links etc. (will buy all new bushings, etc. if needed) off of eBay this morning. for half of new price.

Now all I need is a sway bar brace for my planned suspension upgrades, all the parts are coming together!

I will do a few little maintenance jobs like the cleaning or replacing the heating and cooling fan rheostat (fan motor only works on high I replaced the dash controller and same thing) and the cooling **** only cools on the far left blue dot cool indicator all other levels go straight to heat (like I said, new controller so problem is elsewhere if there is a problem), not certain if that is how it is supposed to work, I would think there were levels of cooling?

To do this I need to remove the shroud/cowl cover, not certain connectors on it, will just take off windshield wiper arms and see if it lifts out of place or if there are fasteners I didn't notice before.

I bought a new sunroof relay and will check out sun roof as well as it has a mind of it's own at times just trying to open and close on it's own with one arm going higher than other.

Will be exciting to have everything done as far as little maintenance items go.

I am curious if from the standard speaker locations if people are getting decent sound out of their stereo system? I thought my old 1988 NA 944 had decent sound, but I am not real happy with the sound in my 951. I will find out what decent speakers fit and get a new head unit and hope the sound is decent. Any suggestions from people have gone through this? Could probably put a sub woofer in rear passenger cubby behind rear wheel.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:33 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

A sub can be mounted in the cubby and you'll just have to make a proper press board piece that will allow a whoofer. An amp can also be installed underneath it but will need to be insulated from the metal and yet allowed to breathe.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:46 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

A sub can be mounted in the cubby and you'll just have to make a proper press board piece that will allow a whoofer. An amp can also be installed underneath it but will need to be insulated from the metal and yet allowed to breathe.
Thanks! Looks like speakers need to be pretty shallow for this application. Are the back speaker/quarter panels hard to remove?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:12 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheAllusionist
Thanks! Looks like speakers need to be pretty shallow for this application. Are the back speaker/quarter panels hard to remove?
You have to lower the back seat, pull the lower screws and tilt the panel up to have access to the speakers. It's not necessary to pull the rear windows.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

You have to lower the back seat, pull the lower screws and tilt the panel up to have access to the speakers. It's not necessary to pull the rear windows.
Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply: TheAllusionist Build Thread