Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Water pump failure, Engine Grinding noise at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015 | 08:43 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Water pump failure, Engine Grinding noise at idle

I replaced the water pump, belts, and idlers about 12 months ago. At idle the engine is making a bad noise. Thought I had a bad idler bearing. On tear down, the water pump bearing failed. The water pump shaft has visable play and grinds when turn by hand. The belts were at proper tension.

I do not have the pump out yet, later today. I am not sure which vendor I purchased the pump from. But I spent a little more and ordered an Airtex pump. The GMB pumps are available for less the $100. The GEBA and LASO pumps are $300-500. What are you guys using?
Old 08-29-2015 | 02:03 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also in need of a "new" water pump. I spent a lot of time trying to track down a leak which I thought was from the gasket. It would not leak under pressure (testing at 15 psi) but I would end up with a small drip after a drive. Replaced the gasket and it's no better. Now I'm thinking it has to be the shaft seal - only leaking at higher RPMs.

If you are going with rebuilt, most seem to swear by Zim's. Having said that, that is what I bought during my rebuild. Surely the frequency of which I drive the car (i.e. never) is not helping the seal's life.

I am now going with a new OE pump or another $114 rebuild from Zim's and hope I get lucky this time....
Old 08-29-2015 | 02:26 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck with a "Porsche Certified" water pump rebuilder. The company is out of southern California and their business name is APR Pumps. The owner or contact person is Jaymes Layton 951-777-4993.

They built a few pump with a metal, multi paddle impeller that is a better design to the full faced impeller commonly used.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Water pump failure, Engine Grinding noise at idle