944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Walkthrough for airbag delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003 | 11:11 AM
Blueman33
Pro

The stalk is only $150 new from the dealer. I haven't changed mine yet but it seems people change the stalk for the horn and so that it is closer in shape to the after market wheel hum (less rectangular).

ORIGINAL STERM, you may wish to purchase the airbag simulators or vehicle specific air-bag delete kit from AirBagSystems.com. though I have not checked to confirm they have my 87 951.

Personally, I'm probably going with AirBagSystems.com.

http://www.airbagsystems.com/disconnect.htm
Old 09-19-2003 | 11:22 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Thanks Blueman, I'll check into them.
Old 09-19-2003 | 12:13 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Blueman33

"The stalk is only $150 new from the dealer. "

The "stalk" consists of more than one part. It actually consists of 3 parts. The cover and the dust boot are different. Can you get those from the dealer and does the $150 include all 3 parts?
Old 09-19-2003 | 01:34 PM
Blueman33
Pro

TonyG,

I am not sure because I am just embarking on replacing my wheel and making the decision whether to disconnect passenger bag.

The part was NOT described as the stalk, but is the multi-switch compoent that has wiper, cruise control, directional signals....for the non-airbag model.

Apparently it is a single part. $144. Part #944 613 507 00

What other parts are necessary?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2003 | 04:25 AM
AKS986
Instructor

is it possible to add an airbag set up to a non airbag car? I would be realy intrested in this if its possible. If it is i might be able to donate my non airbag parts to you.
thanx

shea
Old 09-20-2003 | 04:42 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

AXS986 -

That is hilarious!

Who would want to add a 14 year old airbag wheel/ system?
My airbag and wheel are now gladly hanging in my garage, all 35 lbs of it........

I couldn't believe how heavy it was. With my new 3 lb Momo, I just added some "seat of the pants" perf. gain - he he

I'm still waiting for my new multi-switch to get installed. Still have horn and turn signal cancel in-op., but driving alot (turbos love Colorado fall temps !!), and loving wheel. Will update asap.
Old 09-20-2003 | 05:34 AM
AKS986
Instructor

Im new to this all, no need to laugh at my question. I would like to make my car as safe as possible, and i would think adding an airbag would be a good way of doing that, unless they are faulty and add danger or somthing. A slight performance gain to me is not worth giving up being safe.

shea
Old 09-20-2003 | 11:43 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know if you get much enhanced saftey with an airbag if you are wearing your seat belt properly. They can be dangerous (especially the older style) to short people with osteroporosis, children, pets, etc.
They can be disabled legally with some paperwork, provided you have a real reason.

I would be pretty worried about liability if you were in a crash. With all the airbag deletions going on (for video systems, etc.) you can bet that in a decent crash insurance companies are going to be checking to see if drivers have removed saftey equipment as a way of weaseling out of paying. I know my insurnace company asked me if I had airbags when I insured my car, so they might keep that on file. Also if someone did get hurt in your car after the airbags were disabled, wouldn't you always wonder if they would have been OK if you hadn't?

I would suppose to add them to your car, you'd need the column, wheel, controller, wiring, impact sensor, etc. I'd rather buy a newer car than go through all that, plus you could get a Turbo S in the bargain.

-Joel.
Old 09-20-2003 | 03:49 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I'm not sure if all the insurance companies have comprehensive data bases on our cars to tell if they were supposed to have airbags. When I first insured with State Farm I could get a discount for having airbags. They didn't believe an 88TS had dual airbags and I had to actually stop by the insurance agency and show them!

Many vehicles have a switch on the dash to disable the airbags so I don't know if the insurance company would get too far denying a claim based on the removal of 14 year old airbags. Those early ones really went off violently and hard. If you ever drive with kids or small women that would be a perfect reason to have the bags removed.
Old 09-20-2003 | 04:03 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Canyon, How much was that wheel? - It's awesome.
Old 09-20-2003 | 07:53 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Airbags maim. IMO an airbag is good in a fast head on collision. In a moderate collision they can cause more harm than good. burns, dismembered fingers, broken faces, etc.

Short people are hit hard and more in the head. some have actually died. kids, same story.

But what about average to tall? Think of it. What does a passenger naturally do when they see oncoming danger? put their hands in front of them to brace the impact. BOOM, they just stuck their hand in a bomb!. Not just the airbag exploding, but the pre-fragmented cover, which is perforated to blow to bits.

How about the new airbags that have the horn on top of the bag, in the middle of the wheel? Hmmm.....isn't it likely that one might be depressing the horn in an effort to avoid impact just before the accident happens? Once again, your hand is on a bomb!

I also understand they are extremely loud which has it's own repercussion. pun intended.

I have decided to eliminate mine. They scare me.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2003 | 08:37 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Cyrus - $226 on line from:

http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/trekcompo.html

ask for Luis'. good dude.
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:00 AM
AKS986
Instructor

id look around on ebay for that wheel, alot of the time you can find alot better deals on there on steering wheels, if you dont mind a slightily used wheel they sell for quite a bit lesson ebay. just and idea.

shea
Old 09-21-2003 | 08:56 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

AKS96, on wanting to make your car safer, you could purchase a set of good aftermarket seats and install a four pt harness for your car, you can even get a harness bar that will hook up a four pt harness with your stock seats, the belts just have to be a bit longer to the bar if you put it on the C pillar. Several options here for you..

Quick Reply: Walkthrough for airbag delete