Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gear Selector Shaft stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Settles
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gear Selector Shaft stuck

I was driving back home in my '89 944 Turbo after a track day at NCM Motorsports Park and as traffic slowed on the highway I downshifted to 4th to get back up to speed and when I shifted back to 5th, the shift lever would not move to the right. I could go back into 4th, but after sometime my curiosity got going and I tried to select other gears. Bad decision. I couldn't get into any gears. Coasted off the highway and towed the car home the next day. Lesson learned..if you notice problems wait until you're close to home, not an hour plus before experimenting lol.

After checking all the linkage to the transmission I determined the gear selector shaft is stuck somewhere between 3rd and 4th gear. The shift lever will move forward and back as if it should go into 3rd and 4th, but almost at a slight angle (like 11 and 5 o'clock). I am unable to move the shift lever left or right.

A little background..I had noticed my 3rd gear had been popping out of gear on occasion when I let the clutch out after changing gears. Not sure if this was any indication of things to come, but thought I should mention it.

I have dropped the transmission, at this point. Looking for any insight anyone can offer me as to what the problem and solution might be. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well it cost me $3230 to have my AOR rebuilt. $510 was shipping charges. I used California Motorsports, there in Arizona!?!? Anyways, Roger is who I was dealing with. They did an awesome job! Or if you think you can tackle that job, make sure you watch some YouTube videos before you open it up and start loosing check ***** that are easy to loose.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Settles
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Selector Shaft stuck

That's steep! :| Hopefully a full rebuild isn't needed, but was considering jumping in there myself. First time for everything! Thanks for the tip. Planning on giving a shop here a call soon to weigh my options.

Quick Reply: Gear Selector Shaft stuck