Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

14 pin connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 14 pin connector

While installing my lr harness I broke my 14 pin connector at the firewall. Ordered a new one and broke that. Ordered two more and have already broken another. They are $50 a pop. I keep breaking them trying to put the cap on the harness side on

Anyone put in the Lindsey harness? Any tips? I'm making sure the wires are lying down flat but putting the cap on is a real pita.

I'm thinking about replacing with a weather pack firewall connector. Is it possible to get spools of harness wire? I would need to extend the wire to install the weather pack
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

When you have the cap off, trim the flat sections that push the wires in to place. I use a small angle wire cutter to make enough room for all the wires and they still press the pins in place. I've been trying for a year to find just the lower plate section and they seem to only come in the kit.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

good suggestion. Ill give that a try. especially since I have a bunch of caps left over.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're talking about the 14 pin connector to the left of the brake booster right?
Don't know if it's me, but I'm not understanding how you are breaking the connector. I've done many harnesses and I don't mean to take a tone of knowing much, but the wires get soldered into the pins horizontally. I'm gathering that if you are having difficulty getting the cap to secure to the base, male part, you have potentially inserted the wires and soldered them vertically to the pins?
When the wires are attached horizontally, the cap comes on and off of the base piece easily. I don't know anything about what LR sells, so forgive me if I am off base with my response.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pauerman
You're talking about the 14 pin connector to the left of the brake booster right?
Don't know if it's me, but I'm not understanding how you are breaking the connector. I've done many harnesses and I don't mean to take a tone of knowing much, but the wires get soldered into the pins horizontally. I'm gathering that if you are having difficulty getting the cap to secure to the base, male part, you have potentially inserted the wires and soldered them vertically to the pins?
When the wires are attached horizontally, the cap comes on and off of the base piece easily. I don't know anything about what LR sells, so forgive me if I am off base with my response.
Ya that connector. I think the lr harness has just a bit thicker wire. The pins are soldered horizontally but there does not seem to be enough room to snap the cap on. While trying to get the cap on the male end I would end up using a pair of channel locks and split the base the cap snaps onto. I used the trick above and it worked well.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Where are you getting the connectors from and do they include pins?

Those 14-way connectors with the bullet-shaped round pins are the only connectors I didn't have any luck sourcing.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Where are you getting the connectors from and do they include pins?

Those 14-way connectors with the bullet-shaped round pins are the only connectors I didn't have any luck sourcing.
from pelican, and yes they include pins.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...chButtonGo.y=0

Quick Reply: 14 pin connector