Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Feedback for M-tune's latest chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feedback for M-tune's latest chip

Last Saturday, I was enjoying a beautiful day on the porch when the mailman handed me an unexpected box. The strange box contained an eprom chip and a brief explanation from Joshua.

For weeks, I had been struggling to make the car comfortable to drive. I could not get my idle to come down from 1500 rpm when the engine was hot ( verified with a timing light ), and my AFR at idle were 12:1. I reset the idle, checked for vacuum leaks, pressure tested the intake, checked fuel pressure... It was very frustrating because everything was new, and the engine was rebuilt. Anything that was rubber was replaced.

I decided just to live with the issues because I just didn't have any spare time to spend working on the car, and frankly, I was annoyed with it and burned out.

Last night, I popped in the chip and everything was better. The AFR dropped to 14.8-15 at idle, the idle itself was about 1100, and the engine ran much leaner ( about 12.5:1 under full load ).

If you have the chip laying around, take the time to install it.
Thank you Josh.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't know what Josh is recommending these days, but I would give yourself at least 3% back with the FQS. 12.5:1 may be ok at WOT but I know I would much rather see 12.0 or really high 11s.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Updated chip is in my car as well; I'm seeing AFR's in the 11.5-12 range which I'm happy with. I have had some issues with a hard cut happening under high load at low rpm's (think 80+ % throttle at 2,000 - 2,500 rpm's) and the car consistently cutting under boost when it's raining. This weekend I'll try to capture it while data-logging.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Josh's letter recommended turning the switch back to the zero position with the updated chip. I'd say to try that first and adjust if needed for your particular setup.

As I was just typing that I had a interesting thought. If the fqs is setting a percentage difference from position zero, say adding 3% fuel. It would first calculate the zero position fuel quantity then calculate 3% of that and add that much more fuel. I wonder how much longer it takes the dme to calculate this. Being that its constantly calculating and adjusting its fuel ratio. Probably talking milliseconds but its something. The dme will be working harder when it not at position zero, again this is extremely fractional.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Josh's letter recommended turning the switch back to the zero position with the updated chip. I'd say to try that first and adjust if needed for your particular setup.

As I was just typing that I had a interesting thought. If the fqs is setting a percentage difference from position zero, say adding 3% fuel. It would first calculate the zero position fuel quantity then calculate 3% of that and add that much more fuel. I wonder how much longer it takes the dme to calculate this. Being that its constantly calculating and adjusting its fuel ratio. Probably talking milliseconds but its something. The dme will be working harder when it not at position zero, again this is extremely fractional.
It just adds it to whatever is in the base table. I'm sure the software routine always does the addition (base table + modifier = actual pulsewidth) it's just that at FQS 0 it's adding 0 for that portion of the modifier. It's always doing math based on boost, intake air temp, coolant temp, etc.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
It just adds it to whatever is in the base table. I'm sure the software routine always does the addition (base table + modifier = actual pulsewidth) it's just that at FQS 0 it's adding 0 for that portion of the modifier. It's always doing math based on boost, intake air temp, coolant temp, etc.
Yeah possibly, it would depend how it was coded. And how Josh recoded it. You could easily program if / else if clauses where no modifier would be added at position zero since its always zero and else if clauses would adjust fuel based on the fqs. Also would be more efficient, less code is quicker to execute, and seeing that alot of users keep it at zero, it would make sense. for example:

If fqs = 0 then fuel = table
Else if fqs = 1 then fuel = table + modifier %
Else if fqs = 2 then fuel = table - modifier %
End if
Old 08-18-2015, 01:31 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I don't know what Josh is recommending these days, but I would give yourself at least 3% back with the FQS. 12.5:1 may be ok at WOT but I know I would much rather see 12.0 or really high 11s.
I have it set at position 4, which removes 8%. Ill move it to position 2 which should enrich the mixture a bit more.

I also have a Vitesse camshaft. I dont remember what the specs were, but the engine continues building power past 6000 rpm, which is too bad because I'm worried about spinning a rod revving any higher than that.

The reason I bring that up is the camshaft probably has characteristics which would make the car run a bit richer before reaching its power band.

Has anyone filled up their tanks with E85 yet? I used settings 3+4 and wired in a toggle switch for the E85 map. My only problem is that E85 gas stations are 20 miles away...
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

I noted that the latest update on the LR site indicate that Josh has been busy making improvements that has a long and wide application.

Not a customer - yet, but it is clear that based on his diligence on continued product improvement I will not hesitate to make this my next major purchase (turbo comes this week!).

Quick Reply: Feedback for M-tune's latest chip