Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lost my clutch... :(

I've lost my clutch.
What I think has happened..
My torque tube was pulled away from the bearing in the flywheel a while ago caused by the TT bearings not aligned and wearing out the plastic holding the shaft in place.
So the clutch was floating really.
Replaced the bearings and same thing has happened except we aligned the bearing which was odd.
I think the clutch centre has fatigued and just given way. (From what it sounds like)

Anyway I need a clutch.
I have a spec stage 3+ at the moment. ~500hp clutch. I like it but wouldn't mind any recommendations it opinions.
Centre force I've heard?
Just will need a clutch disc no PP.
will be most likely get the super bearings unless we make something ourselves.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Ugh, not Centerforce. I ran one up until this season, never happy with the feel, had a vague engagement point, but that was a Centerforce pressure plate and clutch disc, maybe disc only would be fine.

I put a ClutchNet setup in over the winter. Initial track impressions are very good, really nice feel, great clamping. Not terrible on the street, pulling away in first requires more revs and getting off the clutch pedal pretty rapidly, but still OK.

Details are:

Stage 2 pressure plate (YP7291) painted red, should be yellow, they were out of yellow paint, with a Racing 6 Button 'E-Z LOCK' Sprung Hub Clutch Disc (6BS7291):

Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Interesting.

Mine wasn't bad. clamping load was good. pretty smooth. but also was a full face.
my PP is semi Aluminium Scachs one. So pedel feels good with decent clamp.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

For anything south of 500hp, you just can't get a better, more stock-feeling, clutch than a cup disk, factory flywheel and KEP1 PP. It has new-car street manners and can hold at least 20psi on a 3 liter motor.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i got a pristine Sachs stage 1 968 clutch and pp over at Doug Bray's house in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (w/ very low miles almost all done on the highway).

which is why I've been saving it for the first lucky driver who duddn't want to spend $1,150.

ain't got the first clue what shipping to Australia would be.

*I think we tossed the flywheel into the recycle truck on his weekly rounds.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:27 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost my clutch... :(

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
For anything south of 500hp, you just can't get a better, more stock-feeling, clutch than a cup disk, factory flywheel and KEP1 PP. It has new-car street manners and can hold at least 20psi on a 3 liter motor.
+1. Totally agree
Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+2. Wish I could say I can vouch for the close to 500hp part (cannot) but I can vouch for the feel & manners.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So you've got a more "nicer" clutch and a harder PP. where i've got a more "nicer" PP and a harsher clutch.

I'll be happy to get the spec one again. honestly did like it. But always open for opinions.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on that comment.

G
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
So you've got a more "nicer" clutch and a harder PP. where i've got a more "nicer" PP and a harsher clutch.

I'll be happy to get the spec one again. honestly did like it. But always open for opinions.
Exactly -- nice disk with more clamping force.

Something must have been wrong with my Spec disk. It was the single worst thing I ever put on my car. It held the power but had beyond terrible engagement.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Tom, Which one did you run?

mine is the Stage 3+ Its a full face carbon semi metallic clutch. I think the fact it was a full face and not a full metallic made it feel pretty nice.

Never had an issue driving this in traffic. Might just pick up a replacement through Dave Norton at Spec.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Centre force use standard Sachs pp. I'm not a huge fan, too light for track use but would be great for street. Mine slips too much on track when changing up. The gears slur and there's this horrible split second hesitation.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you guys consider the Lindsey Spec Mini Twin clutch system?
800 Ft Lbs!

I decided to give it a try and the whole system is now installed on my new engine. Car will be on the dyno for tuning in the next few days.

Last edited by Cyril; 08-16-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:44 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyril
Did you guys consider the Lindsey Spec Mini Twin clutch system?
800 Ft Lbs!

I decided to give it a try and the whole system is now installed in my new engine. Car will be on the dyno for tuning in the next few days.
Might be a little over kill for a car that is "daily" driven.
And a bit expensive.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People also tend to overlook the weight savings of a twin plate clutch... its fairly significant. But at $1800 its cost prohibitive.

I have a 6 puck semi metallic solid hub clutch on my 3.4l Boxster which sees more street duty than track, and I hate it. I've demolished 3 axles so far on upshifts ( at DE events and autoX, not the street ), and traffic is brutal once the clutch gets a little heat in it.

My 951 is going to need a clutch soon, and its going to be something like a cup clutch disc and a kep pressure plate. Im not installing a clutch that will have my car jerking and shuddering in traffic while the clutch disengages.

I'd recommend everyone to choose their clutch wisely.

However, whenever there is an drag style start for an autoX... I do enjoy slipping the clutch out at 5000rpm on racing slicks without so much as even a complaint from the clutch...

Quick Reply: Lost my clutch... :(