Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pre-purchase inspection results on a 951

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
Sarcasm is hard to read on the Internet, I also run a shop here in NJ, so I was basically seconding what you were saying.

Good to see you back, you disappeared for a few years.
I come on randomly and try and help people looking for wiring diagrams or tech help. I'm passively looking for another 951 project, but in the meantime I just love living through you guys. I live on the west coast now so I'm still trying to network with local Pcar guys. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spidey944
Oil pan gasket/reseal is 14 hours by the book. So 10hrs is a decent break.
You and Lee are both right. I have no problem at all, with shops charging what they charge. These cars can really be a hassle to work on. Luckily for you guys, there are guys like me who may F up their DIY work and have them towed to your shops.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
You and Lee are both right. I have no problem at all, with shops charging what they charge. These cars can really be a hassle to work on. Luckily for you guys, there are guys like me who may F up their DIY work and have them towed to your shops.
I spoke with the shop foreman when I brought my 951 in for inspection last week and he didn't couldn't find anything wrong with it. He said that boards like this is killing his business.

He's right, but I love working on my 951, it is frustrating, expensive, and time consuming, and yet all is forgotten once boost kicks in or a twisty road challenges your driving skills.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't say boards like this car killing his business. The fact is that our passion IS these cars. We love them and take pride in knowing them bolt by bolt, and drip by drip (most likely power steering fluid).

There are some cars that just don't fit the "repair shop" world. There are few people that know these front engine, water cooled Porsches. Sure there are Porsche specialty shops around, and they are paid well for what they do. But for the most part, in most cities, there are no mechanics that are confident enough to work on these things. Hell even I was intimidated when I bought mine, I didn't know anything about these car. In the end they are just nuts and bolts like everything else.

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase inspection results on a 951