Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best track pads for m030 / turbo s

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

we were running R4-E (endurance) on our rx7 enduro car. we were mercyless on them and would get about 24 hours of race laps. I've heard that the compound has changed recently for the worse, can't confirm or refute. we are building a 944 turbo non m30 for American endurance and chump, and we selected Raybestos St43 that i bought from Porterfield. have no idea how much the m030 parts would cost
Old 08-29-2015, 10:25 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hawk Blues all around. Mike
Old 08-30-2015, 12:12 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I wonder how those pads go on the track?

You know I have never used those dampers and never had any issues.
I tried reading up on them but couldn't find much info on here before I bought them. I did however run into some stuff on the E36 M3 forums out there from a little while back and people seemed to like them on track. I'd agree though that they lack some bite as already mentioned. I think they've got a pretty conservative window of use if that makes sense. The R4-S as Oddjob already said is a street pad hence the "s" designation but it is however based on their track-oriented R4 (haven't tried those yet). Only thing is that they're an older pad so the game might've moved on a little but I couldn't tell you as I haven't driven any current Pagid, Hawk, etc pads with this car yet on track or even on the road. Again, to the R4-S's credit, the dust is really low for what it is - Almost none visible on my wheels after 8 hour road trip. My only baseline is our stock brakes and E60 M5 stock brakes.

Using the dampers with these calipers is nice because you don't have to clean the goop off of them up if you want to run two different pads with your car (ie one for the street and one for the track), allowing you to effectively hot swap them in the pits as long as you have pliers.

Guess it ultimately comes down to how much road driving you're going to do. Not sure I'd recommend these if all you're going to be doing is setting lap times or whatever.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the end Im going to stick with the PFC11 this time, even if the price is getting a little ridiculous especially with the week $AU / strong $US. Looked at DTC70/60 and really not much cheaper. So until I can find a decent track pad for around $200 I'll stick with these PFC's which must be made from unicorn horns.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Are you buying them locally or O.S. Eric?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Are you buying them locally or O.S. Eric?
Overseas. I have bought them locally before, but last time they took weeks to get back to me and in the end I ordered from os and had them shipped in the mean time (before local dealer even confirmed price). Availability in Australia seems to be an issue in that they don't seem to keep much stock locally anymore.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Porterfield R4-S is a street pad (S). The R-4 is the track compound, and they are not equivalent to the high end Pagids, Hawks, PFCs. More of an entry level track pad for DE'ers. Don't have the grab and can't handle the heat as well as the other pads listed above. Not adequate for racing, unless at a low speed light braking track.

Also be aware that the M030/928S4 calipers squeak worse than the standard Turbo/S2/968 calipers, regardless of pad choice.
This, i run r4-s's on my S2 and i can get them hot enough on a good canyon run that they hate life. You don't want them on a track car at all. If i do a DE in the car i will be getting track pads.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Hi Eric. I suggest contacting Autohaus for a price on project mu.i ran the, on the 968cs last year. Good pads. Good prices.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:00 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Arominus
This, i run r4-s's on my S2 and i can get them hot enough on a good canyon run that they hate life. You don't want them on a track car at all. If i do a DE in the car i will be getting track pads.
I must not be driving hard enough then lol! What do you run for the street?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:40 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
I must not be driving hard enough then lol! What do you run for the street?
I run the r4-s, its still great for the street except for the initial bite. I added the 968 cooling paddles which is helping temps, but its mostly that i keep it on the auto-x course like i should. I was taking too much risk with the downhill runs, there is a lot of wisdom in keeping it on the track for 10/10ths.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:24 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Arominus
I run the r4-s, its still great for the street except for the initial bite. I added the 968 cooling paddles which is helping temps, but its mostly that i keep it on the auto-x course like i should. I was taking too much risk with the downhill runs, there is a lot of wisdom in keeping it on the track for 10/10ths.
I just ran my first autocross with them yesterday and was pretty happy with them. Kept their power throughout the day, left me wanting for initial bite as always blah blah blah but I enjoyed them. Gave people rides and they were pretty impressed with the power. Yes they're not the last word in performance but I still don't think they're as bad as people make them out to be..
Old 09-27-2015, 05:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I've also read in the 911 forums of someone that had good feedback to say about Ferodo pads in a similar thread. Try contacting Clark at Apex Performance in here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...pensive-2.html

"Many of the 991 GT3 guys have switched from PFC 11 compound to Ferodo DS1.11 compound. They like the Ferodo DS1.11 much better and find it is lasting as much as 50% longer with much better pedal feel and superior modulation.
For the 997Turbo and GT3 guys the good news is the Ferodos are much less expensive than PFC.
Fronts are http://apexperformance-net.3dcartsto...111_p_100.html
rears are http://apexperformance-net.3dcartsto...111_p_102.html
The Rennlist promo code works with these items."
Old 12-02-2015, 02:11 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

LATE Update: Don't buy R4-S's if you're hard on your brakes.. Warped my pads at my auto-x. Liked them at first as a spirited street pad and they were ok on the track but just didn't last. Maybe it was just my driving & the course I was on but they're definitely gone. Thinking I'll just buy 2 sets of pads (one being the Auto-X/DE set, the other for general street driving) now with how easy it is to swap them in and out the night before the event.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the update. I'm more than happy with the PFC pads (apart from the price). They really are great pads. I'll look around again in a year when it's time to replace them again.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:12 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For us Aussie folk, the Project Mu HC800 is another contender for the street/track pad. They are a great quality pad, comparable with Ferodo DS2500's or Hawk Blues, but in stock locally and a fair bit cheaper. I got a front set from Brakes Direct for only 189 bucks and they were here in 3 days.

I used them today at Queensland Raceway for the first time and they are really awesome. I was previously using QFM A1RM's all round with ATE Super Blue or Brakes Direct Super Dot 4, and I kept getting bad fade towards the end of sprint days. So I upgraded to HC800's in the front, and Castrol SRF fluid and I had no fade at all today, so I am extremely happy. They also don't squeal which is nice.

If the HC800's aren't enough for you, Project Mu also has a clubsport pad that is more orientated to track only cars, and they also have all out motorsport pads for race cars.

EDIT: Link to the HC800's for anyone interested. The medium black pads are actually ten bucks cheaper than what I paid for the stock small brembo pads. http://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/z152-...rake-pads.html

Last edited by 944crazy; 12-02-2015 at 05:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Best track pads for m030 / turbo s