944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3" California legal cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3" California legal cat

I need to source a California legal cat to fit my 3" Lindsey system to get my car smogged to renew the registration. It MUST have the right numbers stamped on it to pass.
I got a 3" cat from Lindsey to install at smog time when I bought the exhaust, but it's not a Commiefornia cat and since then the rules have changed. It will make fine numbers I'm sure, but that doesn't matter to the CA smog Gestapo, and a diesel cat isn't "legal".
Anyone know?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been searching too. I don't have to smog again until Feb, but the last time the smog tech gave me a hard time because the cat looked 'too new/unused' compared to the rest of the Fabspeed system. So, I got a used Lindsey 3" exhaust and am looking to find an acceptable cat to have welded onto the Lindsey system on one side so the tech see's it's not an easy on/off thing, and want to drive on it for as many months as I can to get it to look used.

From what I understand they are going to look up a number which will be specific to our cars, which means only a 2.5" cat. I did find some other 3" universal cats which are California approved, but for other cars. The question is - will they just look up the number on the cat or will they check against the vehicle make. I can't find my notes at the moment, but when I do will post the 3" CA legal cat numbers I've found.

I think the way to go, if you can find one and I've posted and been searching, is to find a used 3" cat that used to be CA legal and hope to get 'grandfathered' by. You're down in SD, maybe you could check with speed force racing to see if they have any of the old 3" universal cats left (and ask if they have 2 - one for me too?)? They used to sell the Fabspeed 3" system and make their own catalytic piece, but I only see 2.5" systems on their site now. I tried to get ahold of them earlier in the year but was unable to so wasn't sure if they were still in business or not but since have heard they are still going stong.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

As long as it's a California (gas) approved catalytic converter it should be fine. There's no numbers on the stock unit. Smog technicians can tell when an aftermarket exhaust was put on. So they will just run the numbers on the new converter to make sure the company that made it paid California EPA and CARB a ton of $ to put those numbers on it. It's all about the $. That's why California approved cats cost more. There the same as the other 49 states but with an expensive number put on it. The other part is it has to be welded on. Tell the tech its the stock size just new because the old one was rusted out.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 08-09-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Michaels951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cat on my fabspeed set up thats meant for the 3 inch pipe, ill get you a link soon!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Michaels951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://speedforceracingllc.rpmware.c.../i-156318.aspx

Im pretty sure this is the one i have since i got it at SFR about 3 years ago
Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The above link points to a 2.5" cat.

The SFR cat I got for the Fabspeed system is marked with:

CA/CE 99000

94000 05 04

Really bummed I still can't find my notes on the CA legal 3" cats. I will keep looking and post when I do... If I recall correctly, they were for Chevy's with V8's (trucks/Camero?).
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You should call Tim at SFR about fabricating his old 3" CAT for the Fabspeed exhaust test pipe. I had one from SFR that would just bolt-in in-place of the test pipe.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

It's not just finding a cat that is ca legal. The numbers on the cat must match to the specific car. If you go to walker or magnaflow site you enter your year make and model and they show you which cat is approved to fit your car. It won't be a 3".

You might get lucky with a smog tech, but last time I had to show receipts (with part number) and print outs from the cat mfr showing my non stock cat was CARB approved.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Copy and paste

http://www.discountconverter.com/catalytic_converters_news/news_page.cfm?Key=catalytic_converter-&News=125
Old 08-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

And SFR does have a 3" cat.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:50 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
What they show for, say, a 1989 944 Turbo, is not just a drop in cat. It looks like it might be the stock-replacement DEC that some of us have used successfully.

Absent a manufacture's warranty that it is CA legal or someone's actual experience getting a car smogged in a stringent area in CA, I would assume it won't work.

Quick Reply: 3" California legal cat