New wheel paint!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheel paint!

Hey guys, just had my d90 clubsports redone in hyper silver
The color is close enough to the stock alloy to not raise any worries from me. I think they look amazing.

Bad dirty wheel beforehand...

New bright shiny wheel after!

Excuse the dirty car... it just rained here

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

The do look nice. Did you spray them yourself?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Agree, those look good. I've been thinking about tackling this myself, what kind of prep work did you do if in fact it was a DIY project?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint brand, code, price, source?

How much paint is needed per wheel?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Hey all, there's no way as a kid with no time on his hands that I wanted to do it myself so I took it to a professional to get it done right, something this car really deserves If anyone is wondering, I got them done at Wheel Repair Solutions located near Dallas (http://www.wheelrepairsolutions.com). They charged $120/wheel to clean them and spray in any color (he offered black as well and my young mind wanted it but my forward thinking mind wanted a stock-like color for the future LOL). Really recommend them if you're in the area and have to get it done, I dropped them off last night around 5 and picked them up at 10 this morning- super quick.

P.S.- Thanks for all of the compliments, I'm super pleased with the color and quality
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Those look very very nice!!! I have black with polished lip. Looks good when cleaned up. There not clean right now, but this is what they look like.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:29 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I have black with polished lip. Looks good when cleaned up. There not clean right now but this is what they look like.
Love these. I wanted black, too. Just didn't want to upset the purists and if I'm planning on keeping a mostly stock car I think silver is best
Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Looks nice!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Yes I agree with you on the stock look. Very nice!! Only the rears rims are painted on my set right now. I have to buy the 928 8" wide flat dish forged that were CNC machined to match the clubsport rims for the front, from the guy I bought my car from. You can find my car on YouTube before I bought it. The rims are on it then. Look up "87 Porsche 944 turbo walk around" and my car is the red one with the red harnesses off the role bar. It's a super nice car! The guy in the video spun the #2 Rod bearing at Sonoma raceway and sold it to the guy I bought it from because he was so pissed after spending all the $ on the head work and timing belt job. BTW the head was cracked at the valve stem seals so it was bad anyways.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Yes I agree with you on the stock look. Very nice!! Only the rears rims are painted on my set right now. I have to buy the 928 8" wide flat dish forged that were CNC machined to match the clubsport rims for the front, from the guy I bought my car from. You can find my car on YouTube before I bought it. The rims are on it then. Look up "87 Porsche 944 turbo walk around" and my car is the red one with the red harnesses off the role bar. It's a super nice car! The guy in the video spun the #2 Rod bearing at Sonoma raceway and sold it to the guy I bought it from because he was so pissed after spending all the $ on the head work and timing belt job. BTW the head was cracked at the valve stem seals so it was bad anyways.
No way that red one is yours! That was one of the videos I watched of these cars when I was deciding to go through with buying one!! That's awesome to find out, beautiful car
Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Originally Posted by chadcorn
No way that red one is yours! That was one of the videos I watched of these cars when I was deciding to go through with buying one!! That's awesome to find out, beautiful car
Yep and I have given it the full treatment! The AOR is rebiult, so is the torque tube and engine. All new wheel bearings and new brakes, list goes on... It's very nice!! Need to paint it next.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:42 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Those look great! If there's any way to find out the exact paint they used, it would be good to know, it has a very good sheen.

Did they do your center caps too?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:49 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Those look great! If there's any way to find out the exact paint they used, it would be good to know, it has a very good sheen.

Did they do your center caps too?
I'm trying to get the paint code they used but the guy said Hyper Silver/Shadow Grey. Kinda seems like maybe he wasn't too sure on what they used, and I think BMW uses it as well. It's possible its a wheel-only paint and that's why it's so difficult to find a code for it, I'm not sure.

I didn't have him do the center caps because they matched pretty well regardless. I just took those photos as soon as I got home without the caps in. They are in right now.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:54 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't want to thread jack, but just to compare different areas of the country... I went to several paint (auto body) places in town and nobody would paint wheels for me. I did found a few people who do it on the side but wasn't too sure. Then I started finding quite a few places here in Southern California who strip/clean & powder coat for $200/set of 4 wheels ($300 if you want a clear coat), so that's the way I went. A lot of the places cater to the tire stores and have same day service if you get them in before lunch(!).
Attached Images  

Last edited by mtnman82; 08-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 AM
chadcorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Don't want to thread jack, but just to compare different areas of the country... I went to several paint (auto body) places in town and nobody would paint wheels for me. I did found a few people who do it on the side but wasn't too sure. Then I started finding quite a few places here in Southern California who strip/clean & powder coat for $200 ($300 if you want a clear coat), so that's the way I went. A lot of the places cater to the tire stores and have same day service if you get them in before lunch(!).
yeah just for reference the place I went to gets sent huge shipments of wheels from auto repair shops and the actual location I went to was almost factory-like. I had to leave my car overnight to be able to do it so you might want to check out more industrial like places if you're looking.

Quick Reply: New wheel paint!