Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost comes in motor goes out...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 PM
JoeNational
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost comes in motor goes out...

Ok, after fixing my DME issue with a new chip and performing the 28 pin conversion and giving her tlc she has been fine but I now have another major issue.

There I was just crusing to get this car inspected so I can start enjoying her again and right when I went to go give it boost she completely cut out on me. Now I will say the aux pump was making noise and I have not replaced it yet but from everything I understand this would not cause an issue like this. If there is a vacaum leak I can see that creating a problem too but not cutting the engine out. This was a new problem too as I was able to boost with no issues up until today. The car will not start again after a few minutes of it being turned off and then there is no issue again until I start to spool and then it immiediatly goes out.

What the hell now

Last edited by JoeNational; 07-20-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

we need more detail. But I'll think about this one. Check all you sensors. Sounds like the AFM is going out on you. But that's clearly a guess! Also check you boost line going to the KLR unit. It needs that signal. Replace the line if it looks rough. Also might want to replace your knock sensor. It's a boost and electrical problem which points to the KLR unit.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 07-21-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:31 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always told go back over what you just did if you suddenly have an issue that wasn't there before.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:55 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do the chips supposed to match? Meaning stock KLR chip and not stock DME chip is a mismatch or vise versa. But you may have pulled off the KLR boost signal line or loosened it playing around with the DME. Disconnect the pressure line from the KLR and verify its not the problem by physically going over the ends. Possibley cap one end and apply a small amount of pressure to the other end and listen for leaks.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNational
Ok, after fixing my DME issue with a new chip and performing the 28 pin conversion and giving her tlc she has been fine but I now have another major issue.

There I was just crusing to get this car inspected so I can start enjoying her again and right when I went to go give it boost she completely cut out on me. Now I will say the aux pump was making noise and I have not replaced it yet but from everything I understand this would not cause an issue like this. If there is a vacaum leak I can see that creating a problem too but not cutting the engine out. This was a new problem too as I was able to boost with no issues up until today. The car will not start again after a few minutes of it being turned off and then there is no issue again until I start to spool and then it immiediatly goes out.

What the hell now
Did you do the 28 pin conversion to install M-Tune, or are you still running the stock AFM with a factory (or performance) chip?

After you did the conversion to the 28 pin chip (and whatever else you changed at the time), was the car boosting fine for a while, or did the problem start immediately after making those changes?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 189 Posts

Does it sound different? Could have started to slip an intercooler pipe connection. Make sure they are all slipped in all the way and tight clamps. I'm somewhat doubtful that this is your problem, but it's so easy to check... This happened to the 951 I just bought to turn into a chump car. Within 15 miles of testing it blew a hose off.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM
JoeNational
Track Day

everything was working fine for a while after I did the conversion and it was matched with the MAF which is a Vitesse setup.

Can cruise no problem but once I boost it goes out and both times I was in 4th gear.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNational
everything was working fine for a while after I did the conversion and it was matched with the MAF which is a Vitesse setup.

Can cruise no problem but once I boost it goes out and both times I was in 4th gear.
I'm still not sure I follow. The Vitesse system is a small circuit board you use in lieu of the chip in the DME, and it does not require a 28 pin socket. Are you using a Vitesse chip board and Vitesse MAF?

Also, when you say it "goes out" do you mean the motor stops running completely -- i.e., you have to crank the starter to get it going again?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 189 Posts

in car video would probably help here
Old 07-23-2015, 02:44 PM
JoeNational
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'm still not sure I follow. The Vitesse system is a small circuit board you use in lieu of the chip in the DME, and it does not require a 28 pin socket. Are you using a Vitesse chip board and Vitesse MAF?

Also, when you say it "goes out" do you mean the motor stops running completely -- i.e., you have to crank the starter to get it going again?
Yes, have vitesse maf and chip board dme. Upgraded to 28 pin since it was recommended by vitesse directly. did this a couple months ago.

When I boost the car goes completely out and shutdown. I have to wait a few minutes before it will even start and stay running again. Once that happens I can drive with no issues until I boost again. this happened twice on me. It is right away too.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:15 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you performed an intake pressure leak test? That's where I would start.

Any lose wires? Something is shorting when boost & torque hit?

For testing, use a different power source for the MAF. Direct from battery is fine for testing.

Quick Reply: Boost comes in motor goes out...