Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil smoke heavy on boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 AM
pudges951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil smoke heavy on boost

I need some opinions. I'll give the mod list first. 86 951, 154k miles. Vitesse MAF and chipset, Lindsey sport turbo #10 hotside, 72lb injectors, Lindsey dual port wastegate dump to atmosphere, 3bar fpr, 3" exhaust with a borla xr1. Now the previous owner said that he replaced the oil pan gasket, rod bearings, rear main ect on the bottom end before I bought it. Here's my issue, on boost I'm blowing oil smoke like crazy. I popped the hood and around the #4 header to head there is oil as well. I also noticed quite a bit of oil on the side of the engine below where the dipstick is attached. I was thinking turbo seals but I'm wondering if it's something more serious. Any thoughts? I ran a cold compression test last night and came back with between 125-130 on all four cylinders. I've searched and search and can't come up with anything concrete. Is there anyone running a Lindsey sport turbo with #10 hotside? Does this turbo need an oil feed reducer?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there heavy oil in the manifold and ic pipes? Pull your maf or jboot and check the turbo for play as well (in/out and side to side).
Old 07-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure your crank case breather isn't hooked up to the boost pipe as well. Ive seen that happen. But sounds like you have two issues. And external oil leak and an internal one. No there are no reducers for the oil going to the turbo you have. I think you only need reducers when you switch all the feed lines and the turbo to a different style such as a Garret GT or GTX because they use a special mount and feed lines. But it sound like you have a leaking turbo (if smoke is out the pipe) and a leaking gasket(probably cam tower). Show some pictures of where it's leaking to give us all a better idea. Or put a video up of the smoke coming out of the car.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
pudges951
Racer

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Is there heavy oil in the manifold and ic pipes? Pull your maf or jboot and check the turbo for play as well (in/out and side to side).
The last time I pulled the pipes there was oil, but not excessive amounts. I'll pull them tonight and take a look. I just checked the shaft play as well last time the pipes were off which was only a couple of miles ago and it was minimal both in and out as well as side to side.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:06 PM
pudges951
Racer

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Make sure your crank case breather isn't hooked up to the boost pipe as well. Ive seen that happen. But sounds like you have two issues. And external oil leak and an internal one. No there are no reducers for the oil going to the turbo you have. I think you only need reducers when you switch all the feed lines and the turbo to a different style such as a Garret GT or GTX because they use a special mount and feed lines. But it sound like you have a leaking turbo (if smoke is out the pipe) and a leaking gasket(probably cam tower). Show some pictures of where it's leaking to give us all a better idea. Or put a video up of the smoke coming out of the car.
I double check the breather tonight, but I'm pretty sure I didn't switch them the last time they were off. I didn't think this turbo needed reducers, but if the seals are spent in it already I'm extremely disappointed as the previous owner said it had less than 10k miles on it, and in the 6 or so years I've had the car, I've only put about 2k miles on it. I'll attach the picture I took yesterday of the exhaust side, it's hard to see, but may help. I'll try to get a pic of the block on the turbo side tonight to help explain it. You can see some of the dry oil on the header. The oil on the header side concerns me more then the other side as I don't want to have a fire from oil getting on the exhaust header.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

I would change the cam tower gaskets and take off the exaust manifolds to check your ceramic liner in you head to make sure it didn't crack and take out the turbo. I've had that happen once. It also had a bolt back out of the intake box(the three inside the box under the filter holding the box to air meter)and get sucked into the turbo. There was nothing left of the compressor wheel on that one! Foreign object damage(FOD) is the #1 killer of these turbo's! Never get mad at the previous owner, it's just not worth it. I didn't get mad at the guy I bought my car from and its selling point to me was all the bolt on goodies with an AOR trany. Well the AOR had s2 gears in it that was chipped in the pinion gear(way to small of gears for a turbo car) and someone welded the input shaft together! So the rebuild cost me $3400! That was just the trany! Everything needed attention because it was a used up track car. #2 spun rod bearing, bad torque tube, needed updated M030 spindles to match the brakes(I don't do adapters), clutch was burnt, list goes on.... But I looked it over and seen it had some nice potential. And now it's almost there!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM
pudges951
Racer

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Because of you I rechecked my vacuum hose routing and ding ding, I feel like a complete roookie One of the times I had the intake manifold off I must have switched the vacuum lines, I had the ISV going to the maf pipe and the crankcase hose going to the intercooler to intake manifold pipe, pressurizing the crankcase. I just hope I didn't do any permanent damage.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Excellent! You should be fine if your oil pan is still attached to the engine.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 PM
pudges951
Racer

Haha, I deserved that, lol.. Yeah it's still attached, I just hope there aren't other issues as well, we'll see. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Oil smoke heavy on boost