Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine harness - wire length needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:42 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine harness - wire length needed

I'm building new '88 engine harness, I'm almost done but I'm stuck in place now. I have an old '86 harness as a template/donor and it does not have oil level warning wire. See sketch below - I need length of a sleeve for oil pressure sender and total length of the oil level warning part - from where yellow cover comes out of the main sleeve to the end of the plug. Your help will be much appreciated, I don't want to do it either too long or even worse - too short.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 PM
darek_u
Pro

This a real show stopper for me now... Anybody has Turbo S harness lying around in his garage?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I can measure an 86 harness in the morning for the pressure sender, if that helps. Don't have a spare harness with the level sender. Maybe leave it very long and cut it as needed once installed?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:03 AM
darek_u
Pro

I'm using '86 as a template so I have the total length but thanks a lot anyway for your offer. I can kinda estimate these lengths but I would prefer to have them measured. I don't want to leave these as last and cut to length once installed because I'm using braided sleeve and start dressing harness "legs" from smallest first making my way towards larger diameter and firewall. Leaving these uncovered will force me to leave the whole part without sleeve. I don't know if this makes any sense what I'm writing here, I've never been good in describing things, I prefer to make them...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 261 Posts

Make it too long and trim to fit. Figure it out on the first one, write it down, and cut it to length for the rest of them.

You're making a problem where there is none.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darek_u
I'm using '86 as a template so I have the total length but thanks a lot anyway for your offer. I can kinda estimate these lengths but I would prefer to have them measured. I don't want to leave these as last and cut to length once installed because I'm using braided sleeve and start dressing harness "legs" from smallest first making my way towards larger diameter and firewall. Leaving these uncovered will force me to leave the whole part without sleeve. I don't know if this makes any sense what I'm writing here, I've never been good in describing things, I prefer to make them...
I understand what you're saying. Not sure I'd run the smaller sleeves over the entire length of the wires like that -- it gets very bulky if you have sleeves over sleeves over sleeves. But even a few inches of overlap presents the same problem I suppose. At any rate, how about getting under the car and measuring with a spare piece of wire, starting at the firewall port (or other convenient reference point) and just running the wire to see how long it needs to be.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 PM
darek_u
Pro

Tom, you misunderstood me a bit. I start from smallest sleeves and fit them in place (shrink tube with glue) than larger diameter slide over this one, shrink tube in place and so on. I start with smallest and finish with the largest at firewall. I know that the easiest way would be to measure it under my car BUT car is at home and I'm away working now. Lot of time after shift so I figured why not build a new harness? LOL. Anyway, there is no way my wife would get under the car to do it for me... I don't even try to ask her, I think most of the guys understand this.
Anyway, maybe I really overthink the whole thing, I'll just estimate it and eventually redo later.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darek_u
Tom, you misunderstood me a bit. I start from smallest sleeves and fit them in place (shrink tube with glue) than larger diameter slide over this one, shrink tube in place and so on. I start with smallest and finish with the largest at firewall. I know that the easiest way would be to measure it under my car BUT car is at home and I'm away working now. Lot of time after shift so I figured why not build a new harness? LOL. Anyway, there is no way my wife would get under the car to do it for me... I don't even try to ask her, I think most of the guys understand this.
Anyway, maybe I really overthink the whole thing, I'll just estimate it and eventually redo later.
Ah, that makes sense. I have a few old harnesses. I don't think any of them have the level sensor, but will check tomorrow...
Old 07-23-2015, 12:43 AM
darek_u
Pro

Thanks Tom.

Quick Reply: Engine harness - wire length needed