Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just toying around in the Shop - FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Just toying around in the Shop - moved past FMIC for 944 Intercooler in 968

As part of the never-ending saga of my 968T project, I've finally gotten around to cypherin' on the subject of incorporating an Intercooler into the 968 body.

Since I do not know how to add pics between sentences/paragraphs, I'll just add them at the end.

Since my project is about 1100 miles away in the Midwest, where its been hanging on a lift in a heated garage, it's kinda hard to just go out tot he garage and start figuring things out - like where/how to incorporate an Intercooler without doing some serious front body modifications and then there is the whole second hood latch or hood pins (which I think look out of place on a P-car) method to secure the hood. Obviously do-able, but not without a fair amount of noodling.

So, I sought out a working model. Found a front end from Oklahoma Foreign. Mounted it to an old desk and viola - working model that I can tinker with. Added a lower support to serve as the maximum lower edge to determine dimensions for the intercooler.

Next, looked up Air to Air Intercooler fab - found a site with decent info (http://www.bellintercoolers.com/) and started researching what would fit best in the available space and what power level it will support.

Had some foam board left over from a previous project and basically finished up the initial model today.

Using core that is 4.5"Dx7.9"Tx12"W (rated for just over 600 CFM). End tanks are 3"Wx7.9"T with a 3" radius on the bottom edge. Inlet/outlet tubes are modeled for 2.75"ODx0.065" wall aluminum tubing (which should match up nicely with another future project - custom intake using 65mm TB). Rising first 1" from the upper tank end edge, then turning at 35 degree angle toward the engine.

Although not the same as the 'factory' 968T, and may not be as efficient as the 944T intercoolr - it seems to fit well with minimal amount of metal work (I spent probably about 3 hours hour cutting/grinding the holes) that doesn't jeopardize frame rigidity or require reworks of the hood latch assembly.
Attached Images       
Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

That much intercooler will severely disrupt air flow through the radiator.

Besides once the Kingsford's kicks in you don't stand a chance.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmmm
Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting mockup. Bells got a ton of intercooler sizes...crazy

Kingsford LOL.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:08 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking at the rest of the intake I don't think they would have used that intercooler if it didn't work.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you (even remotely) considering using a front bumper on this car?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually, it does fit within the area of the bumper bar and front bumper cover without issue. Apparently some of the Powerhaus 968 units used a similar setup of a FMIC tucked down in this area (or at least Miles car did anyway).

Still just toying with the idea - looks like it would work.

Upside = no severe metal work/hood latch relocation.
Downside = possible cooling issue + limited power capability (by simple math the overall heat transfer surface area is less than that of the stock 951 unit).
Old 07-07-2015, 12:16 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Actually, it does fit within the area of the bumper bar and front bumper cover without issue. Apparently some of the Powerhaus 968 units used a similar setup of a FMIC tucked down in this area (or at least Miles car did anyway).

Still just toying with the idea - looks like it would work.

Upside = no severe metal work/hood latch relocation.
Downside = possible cooling issue + limited power capability (by simple math the overall heat transfer surface area is less than that of the stock 951 unit).
The 968 Turbo RS ducting work for intercooler efficiency towards a horizontal intercooler is best of breed. Without clearance for a vertical/hot into bottom with intake air from top, a modified factory type intercooler is likely the best intercooler for your application. Don't think a larger - front measurement - FMIC makes any difference. The only reason we chose a FMIC is from the efficiency of a vertical type setup, otherwise, we'd have kept the intercooler as designed, and was about to throw away the horizontal FMIC made by: ? and go back to the original design.

Don't really know, other than the results showing this/my intercooler allows ambient temps ingested. This does affect the AC not working well in 100+ temps. Otherwise, neat setup using factory fans with a Ron Davis radiator.

The condenser needs MORE air flow at a Hot Stop! More air flow would make it through the fins.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by blade7

Looking at the rest of the intake I don't think they would have used that intercooler if it didn't work.
Point well taken.

As a side note - anyone else note the different orientation of the intercooler tubes (circular flow vs cross over flow)?

Collective brain trust thoughts?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Point well taken.

As a side note - anyone else note the different orientation of the intercooler tubes (circular flow vs cross over flow)?

Collective brain trust thoughts?
That's what I call, "Car ****". Killer intake, intercooler - car. Should have just built a 968 Turbo RS replica...
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Sawzall and Dremel make for short work

After being inspired by rude944, and further weighing the capabilities of a FMIC, decided to see how difficult is would be to fit the 951 Intercooler.

After about a couple of hours of marking and cutting, the Intercooler fit without issue.

I was skeptical at first that too much metal would have to be removed, in retrospect - I don't think the structure is weakened significantly. If I decide to, there is enough material left to add a couple of interior braces without too much effort.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: Just toying around in the Shop - FMIC