Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crank breather & gas smell ?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 04:18 PM
sangohan
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank breather & gas smell ?s

I did search a bit, but I'm afraid a newbie like my might need a lil more help. Stock airbox was cracked; replaced with a cone airfilter. That little hose (attached straight up into the stock airbox) is for emissions/crank breather, right?

- Is it OK to leave that unattached to anything? How will I pass emissions in the future?
========================================

And since I have a million questions...might as well stick it all in one post:

- Engine only has 70k on it. Why does the oil smell like gas? (replaced fuel dampener, which broke...whew no engine fire!! yay, but still gas smell in oil)
- Gas smell in interior...can't for the life of me figure it out. Only when left overnight.
- Oil in intercooler piping....hmm...uses about 1 qt/1000 miles...= ok?
- Shifter very loose...what's the cheapest fix?
- Mild droning (not from engine or trans) over 60 mph. None under 60 mph.
- $550 quote to replace master & slave clutch cyl. ok price?
- I put about 9k miles in a few months...didn't fix too much except for oil changes & vacuum lines...anything else i should maintain?

Yah. Lots of little questions. Thanks everyone! I love this forum!!

My car: 86' 951 Prev owner put a newish 60k engine in, new wastegate, perf. prod chips, new tires, brake rotors, half shafts, clutch, etc etc. bad title due to engine fire from 10 yrs ago...but all in all it was such a great deal!! $4500!

sangohan03@yahoo.com
Old 09-12-2003, 04:35 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the same gas-in-oil smell, so I'd be interested in your solution. FYI, I'll be chaning my oxygen sensor soon in the hopes of fixing that problem.

To fix your loose shifter, just replace the metal shifter rod that is beneath your shifter. That runs about $45 and you should replace the plastic bushing the metal shifter rod sits on - about $3. I know places such as www.paragon-products.com can get it for you, if they don't already have it in stock.

I have the oil in the intercooler piping, as do many of the 951 owners. If it's a thin film, you have nothing to worry about. These cars do burn/use some oil, so 1 qt/1000 miles is not too bad.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:56 AM
sangohan
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumpididybump
Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your oil usage is fine.

Re: gas smell in oil, check your compression to se if you're getting blow by past your rings. Hard to believe if your oil usage is so low though. Might also be a leaking injector.

Gas smell might be something related to the charcoal cannister in the front of the car, the gas tank is vented to it via a tube. The tube might be broken or off a fitting somewhere, or your cannister might be no good?

Hope that helps. Responses on this forum seem to getting really slow, might want to try the other one too.

Quick Reply: Crank breather & gas smell ?s