Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ceramic Coating for Heat Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:14 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating for Heat Control Question

I am curious how beneficial heat control is for performance and longevity of your engine. I do not know how well coatings such as ceramic coating compares to heat wraps and other options. If the benefits of the application of these methods is negligible then I would like to know and abandon further investigation.

I have tried researching the topic and there is mention of a black extreme coating as well. Would be interested in what options there are that hold up. I also realize some of the benefits may just be keeping the engine bay cooler so things like alternators and starters hold up.

I am assembling parts to install on my 951, a ported intake manifold and matched overbored throttle body, Stage 2 intercooler, 4" ceramic coated LR exhaust system and LR DP wastegate. I also have a Vitesse Racing MAF I am going to try and do a stealth application with and other stuff like M030 struts, shocks, etc. that don't apply to this question.

My question boils down to whether it would be advantages to coat the intake, intercooler pipes (exhaust already done besides stock headers that I plan on leaving alone), down pipe and crossover pipes are also other items of potentially coating. I understand that cooler air into the engine is more condense and thus when heated produces more explosive force, I also understand that less heat under the hood helps some parts last longer. BUT, are the benefits worth the cost?

I know I show up every couple months with a question or two, but I am enjoying pursuing avenues and "what ifs", I am basically pursuing hidden performance items and factory type options for my low mileage unmolested 1986, I know it is a bit of sacrilege so I am researching the heck out of everything so that I don't rush in and do something rash! I thought heat mediation might be a performance boost without changing stock configuration per say. At this time I am trying to add the benefits of technological advancements while not molesting my car too much.

Thanks for your time!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating for Heat Control Question