Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just got an M-Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:41 AM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an M-Tune

Just got my M-Tune from Lindsey, any install advice? I have an '88 Turbo S. I have done engine swaps on my old BMW 2002, and some mid level repair work as a mechanic in college. As an Computer Engineer I feel confident doing the wiring portion but is there more to the install? Should I take it to a shop or is this something that can be done in the Garage? Let me know your experiences. Thanks guys

Kai
Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure your DME harness does not already have a jumper wire attached from the factory.

You received a jumper in the M-tune kit that is a orange. The factory jumper location is right where the DME harness connects to the DME.

I recently posted about this if you want to read about it.

I set mine to run tune 5 but was actually running in tune 6 Valet mode which cuts boost at 5 psi. This of course was due to the factory jumper wire which was on California and Japan cars from what I read.

Also get a wide band O2 sensor if you don't have one already.

When you install all the plumbing don't tighten everything since you will need to find what orientation all of your components are going to sit in.

Take very accurate measurements for the 90 degree silicone hoses that tie to the blow off valve.

If you measure voltages on the MAP sensor, do it with all wires connected and slide a pointy multi meter lead along the wire at the male connection on the map sensor. The 3 wire male plug of the connector has space between weather proof cover and wire to do this.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 AM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

Gruhsy, Thanks for the reply but I am more curious of whether I should send it to my P car shop, or something I can do over a weekend.

No intention of getting an 02.

Replacing a current MAF, and going with a CDA airbox so measurements are not an a concern, already done. Just curious about post install and plug and playness. Do I have to adjust to my specific mods or can I just install and drive?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:40 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiKai951S

No intention of getting an 02.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:40 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

WBO2 is an essential component if you are doing any mods.

It gives you instant feedback as to wether your engine is running properly.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say the hardest part of installing the M tune is soldering in the wires. The instructions are clear about which wires go where and all, it's just fairly awkward working in the passenger foot well and trying to solder in stuff if you've only got one set of hands like me.

Overall, it's really not that bad to install. It'll take you a day to get it all in and fitting properly under the hood. I agree with the others; you NEED a wideband O2 if you're running anything other than stock. Otherwise, I wouldn't dare mess with boost, and just pray that you're running the correct tune.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:13 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With the experience you have I would say go for it. I'm a EE with 3 decades of hands on electronics experience and similar mechanical skills/history. For me the toughest part was the wiring/soldering - working in a confined space and making sure it was done correctly. It really wasn't that bad. Installing the MAF and those associated parts is just 'plumbing'. It did take me a few runs to the local Autozone and getting them to let me look through the selection of hoses available to get the right pieces to fit the BOV (and associated cutting/trimming). If the logger is available I would recommend getting that and installing it at the same time, I think it's only an extra wire (maybe two).

+1 on getting an O2 sensor as you're kind of running blind without one (I did for years, but I ran very conservatively and think I was lucky - although I did wind up replacing a head gasket the Christmas before last...). You will be pleasantly surprised with the low rpm/off-boost performance once you're up and going. Have fun and post here if you run into any road blocks.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:22 PM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

OK, Maybe rethinking getting the WB02. Any advice on which to get? Recommendations?
Old 06-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

http://wbo2.com/

I like this setup.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wideband is a must! You have no idea that it is running properly and SAFELY without it.You are just playing the "when will my engine blow game" if you don't even know your settings. Not expensive and probably one of the most important things you can have to avoid very costly failures.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the wideband to be compatible with Rogue's stuff, check out the systems he supports:

http://roguetuning.com/dme_logger/dm...r_setup__files

You don't *have* to be compatible with Rogue's stuff - I believe most if not all of the wideband units have data logging capability - but you would definitely want to be able to log data and play it back later. The Rogue logger is nice because it brings out some internal/additional information than the standard logger.

Quick Reply: Just got an M-Tune