Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel injectors; buy new, or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injectors; buy new, or rebuild?

I need to replace the injector wiring harness. I've been having a hot no start issue that I'm pretty sure is now related to the injector harness (wiggle it and the engines dies, etc.) I still think one or more injectors may not be operating 100% as well. Since I have repaired or replaced virtually every other component related to the induction and engine management, I thought I may was well rebuild or replace the injectors as well. The previous owner sent the injectors out to Witchhunter for testing in 2013. One needed repair at that time. I'm so tired of tracking down and eliminating issues with this car, I thought I may as well get this out the way regardless of whether it is actually a problem at the moment or not.

So, if I'm going to do this, I guess my question is, should I have them rebuilt, or buy new ones? I think it costs roughly $50 each to have them rebuilt, Five-O motorsports sells new ones for $73, and Lindsey sells 52 lb injectors for $550 set. It would seem that for roughly $100 more a set, I should get new (36 lb) injectors from FiveO. However, I do have some slight mods to the engine, and run 15-16 lbs boost. At some point in the distant future (like, years away), I may want to modify further. This makes me wonder if maybe I should just get the 52 lb Lindsey injectors, in case I want to "grow in to them". But, would 52 lb be overkill on this motor now?

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with any experience in this area. Thanks.

Roger
Old 06-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

What are you controlling fuel with now?

I re-read your post. When you say "grow into them", does that mean you don't have a MAF or other mgmt system currently?
Old 06-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by Tedro951
What are you controlling fuel with now?

I re-read your post. When you say "grow into them", does that mean you don't have a MAF or other mgmt system currently?
It's stock afm with 951MAX chip, MBC, Tial 38mm, 3 bar FPR, stock 26/6 freshly rebuilt. I have no intentions of doing any other mods for a few years, and I'm very happy running 15-16 lbs boost right now. However, I'm sure that someday, I will step this up. My question with the Lindsey 52 lb injectors is whether or not they woukld work with my current configuration. If not, I'll probably just get the new 36 lb injectors from FiveO.

Roger
Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will run pig rich with 52 pounders......have Russel, if still around, burn a new chip.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by pole position
You will run pig rich with 52 pounders......have Russel, if still around, burn a new chip.
OK, this is what I was concerned of. I had a feeling they weren't just "plug and play".

With respect to the 36 lb injectors from FiveO. They claim they are a direct replacement for the OE Bosch injectors. However, they show the resistance as 2.5 ohms. I thought the stock injectors were 4.5 ohms. Would this be a problem, like "cooked DME"?

Roger
Old 06-13-2015, 08:49 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Why dont you just pick a up a set of used injector from Lart and have them balanced/rebuild/flowed. total cost probably 150-175 and still OEM.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by pole position
Why dont you just pick a up a set of used injector from Lart and have them balanced/rebuild/flowed. total cost probably 150-175 and still OEM.
Well, yes, that was part of my original question, should I just have my current stock injectors balanced/rebuilt/flowed. But for not much more, I could get new injectors. If I am to believe the prose on FiveO's site, the new injectors are a better design than the OE. True, False?

Roger
Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Balanced/flowed=new

A "newer" injector design if in fact that is true (doubtful) is not going to make difference in regards to your OEM ones, unless you are talking EV14 but you would need a Rogue Maf or a stand alone to run it.

You are over thinking it, get your current injectors rebuild.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:59 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen to my advice... I had my stock injectors, cleaned, rebuilt, and flowmatched and one of them failed as soon as the rail pressurized (case split). I ended up buying a set of new 36lb/hr injectors from FiveO. This is the way to go. In fact, if you are interested, shoot me a PM and I will sell you my set that have about 5 hours of usage on an engine that had everything from the gas tank forward to the rail replaced. So they should be 99.9% brand spanking new. I am only selling because my build changed and I ended up with a Rogue MAF / DME Tuner so I now have a set of 83lb/hr injectors coming from FiveO to replace the ones I originally bought. If you are interested PM me, thanks!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have 3 rebuilt flow match stock injectors...
Old 06-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Mach 5
Racer

I found the GB Remanufactured injectors, sold by Paragon for $50 ea, and Rock Auto for $25 ea., with a 12 mo/15K warranty. Pretty appealing.

Roger
Old 06-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will give you the benefit of Jon Milledge's advice:.....the injectors that come stock are the best motor-sport injectors made. Why would you change them?

Have them flow-matched and cleaned.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:25 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 138 Posts

In my experience, unbeaten quality, speed, price: Southbay Fuel Injectors. Pretest, clean, flow-match, post test - all graphed.

Only issue, sometimes they come back unpainted. Just ask them to paint them.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a set of OE rebuilt injectors from GB Remanufacturing. I'll post an update after I get them.

Roger
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Got the new/rebuilt GB injectors on Weds and installed them last night. I must say, I was very impressed with these injectors. They look absolutely brand new. They are an exact match (same Bosch part#), and the car runs great. For a net cost of $100 set, you can't go wrong (if you want stock injectors).

Roger

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors; buy new, or rebuild?