Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send your 26/8 to Charlie at Evergreen or at the least contact him for advice on making the most out of a 26 or 27 KKK
http://evergreenturbo.com/contact.html
Old 06-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I doubt this. a S61 is a decent size turbo. ~600hp turbo.
I absolutely picked up spool because I fixed problems at the same time as I switched to the S61. No way it should spool faster than stock.... But apparently I drove my car a long time that way, so this feels awesome.

In 4th or 5th gear I'll get most of my boost by 3200. Dyno time is till pending, and based on the way the car runs off boost I really suspect some of the spool time came from the M-tune. Obviously changing too many things at once makes it impossible to know for sure. All I can say is I'm glad I got the super 61, and I wouldn't trade it for a smaller turbo. I'm actually able to autocross the car in this configuration, which I didn't think would be possible. Just sharing the experience I've had so far. I know i'm not going to want power output to go DOWN in the future, so having a bit more turbo that I might otherwise need isn't a huge concern to me. I specifically asked Dave what turbo to get, thinking he would say something smaller. I then specifically double checked that my 2.5L could sling an S61 and he said no worries. Figured hes the expert. Honestly if you're planning on buying a turbo from them, give him a call. Never had trouble getting someone on the phone over there.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I absolutely picked up spool because I fixed problems at the same time as I switched to the S61. No way it should spool faster than stock.... But apparently I drove my car a long time that way, so this feels awesome.
yeah, that's what I thought. The improved spool was because of the repair, so this comparison isn't really valid or helpful for me.

Even someone changing something like the WG at the same time as the turbo, makes a comparison less useful.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

I hesitate to post this because of how many mistakes there are, but this car basically has all the parts of the Lindsey 340 kit, with the super61 and mtune. Also running S2 gear box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8V...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 4th or 5th gear I'll get most of my boost by 3200. Dyno time is till pending, and based on the way the car runs off boost I really suspect some of the spool time came from the M-tune. Obviously changing too many things at once makes it impossible to know for sure. All I can say is I'm glad I got the super 61, and I wouldn't trade it for a smaller turbo. I'm actually able to autocross the car in this configuration, which I didn't think would be possible. Just sharing the experience I've had so far. I know i'm not going to want power output to go DOWN in the future, so having a bit more turbo that I might otherwise need isn't a huge concern to me. I specifically asked Dave what turbo to get, thinking he would say something smaller. I then specifically double checked that my 2.5L could sling an S61 and he said no worries. Figured hes the expert. Honestly if you're planning on buying a turbo from them, give him a call. Never had trouble getting someone on the phone over there.
so in 3rd it's like 3500?

nice auto-x vid.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

so in 3rd it's like 3500?

nice auto-x vid.
Thanks!

Yeah a little higher in 3rd for sure.

Basically if you have the car at or above 3k in any gear it feels ok, if you are at or above 4k and lag is a non issue. I was really surprised by this at the autocross.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Originally Posted by CO951
The problem with the k26/8 for me is that living at altitude makes the turbo have to work harder. atmospheric pressure is about 12psi. So the lag is increased because I have to build 2.7psi more than sea level to just be equal. It also effects the high end. Joshua (Rogue) told me a couple years ago that the k26/8 was nearing it's limit on top because of our altitude. (FYI my 350hp goal is based more on the amount of effort/money I can put in the car. If I can easily go higher I probably would. Also to point out that low lag is more important than big power.)

The question I guess I really want to know is how much more lag does a k27/8 or any of the LR turbos have than a k26/8? if it's 2-300rpm more it would be worth it for me if it's 1k more, that's way too much.
The K27/8 doesn't have much more lag than K26/8. Using 21psi boost hits around 3500rpm and that's good for about 440bhp/440lb*ft with 3" exhaust & EBC. At your altitude, it'll probably increase spool by 500rpms to get to same boost-level.

I would say that a GT3071R with ball-bearing centre section would be your bet. Wheel-sizes are actually slightly smaller than K27/8 for faster spool (along with ball-bearing CHRA), 21psi @ 3000rpm (3500rpm for you). More modern design allows it to reach 500bhp, slightly higher than K27/8.

_______K27/8____GT3071R
turbine: 55/65mm 55/60mm
comp: 54/76mm 53/71mm
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!

Yeah a little higher in 3rd for sure.

Basically if you have the car at or above 3k in any gear it feels ok, if you are at or above 4k and lag is a non issue. I was really surprised by this at the autocross.
You usually measure in 3rd because it's 'more real world conditions'
it's the gear you're mostly in,

for example with my setup. max boost in 3rd is 3700-3800. in 5th it's 3000rpm. but when you say 3rd, you know it'll be sooner in 4th and 5th, but similar in 2nd to 3rd. you have a lot less load in first so no one says anything with 1st.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

You usually measure in 3rd because it's 'more real world conditions'
it's the gear you're mostly in,

for example with my setup. max boost in 3rd is 3700-3800. in 5th it's 3000rpm. but when you say 3rd, you know it'll be sooner in 4th and 5th, but similar in 2nd to 3rd. you have a lot less load in first so no one says anything with 1st.
Sure that makes perfect sense, that's why I posted the autocross video, basically the beginning of the video shows what happens in first when you street launch the car. ..let a couple people drive it and my only rule was no clutch abuse. So much more fun to autocross than I thought it would be!
Old 06-12-2015, 12:09 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JacRyann
The K27/8 doesn't have much more lag than K26/8. Using 21psi boost hits around 3500rpm and that's good for about 440bhp/440lb*ft with 3" exhaust & EBC. At your altitude, it'll probably increase spool by 500rpms to get to same boost-level.

I would say that a GT3071R with ball-bearing centre section would be your bet. Wheel-sizes are actually slightly smaller than K27/8 for faster spool (along with ball-bearing CHRA), 21psi @ 3000rpm (3500rpm for you). More modern design allows it to reach 500bhp, slightly higher than K27/8.

_______K27/8____GT3071R
turbine: 55/65mm 55/60mm
comp: 54/76mm 53/71mm

Is the GT3071R a simple install or does it require a bunch of modifications? When I searched on it, it came up as internal WG. Is there a version that isn't? The search also comes up with a lot of them on eBay pretty cheap (starting at $404). Am I missing something, that sounds too cheap? The seller CXRacing has good reviews. They also have different ones with different ARs. I don't know AR would be best for me.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:24 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CXRacing is certified 100 % USDA approved Chinese knock off.....as is the rest of the cheap e bay stuff a
Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Originally Posted by CO951
Is the GT3071R a simple install or does it require a bunch of modifications? When I searched on it, it came up as internal WG. Is there a version that isn't? The search also comes up with a lot of them on eBay pretty cheap (starting at $404). Am I missing something, that sounds too cheap? The seller CXRacing has good reviews. They also have different ones with different ARs. I don't know AR would be best for me.
Don't use the eBay turbos, they don't have dual ball-bearings and aren't of the quality of genuine Garrett. There's two model of GT3071R. The one you want is the external-wastegate version with T3 turbine-inlet and 3" 4-bolt (or V-band) outlet in 0.82AR.

The turbine T3 inlet flange has slightly wider bolt-spacing, but the flange on the crossover pipe can be slotted to fit T3. You'll need a 3" downpipe to fit the turbine outlet, either 3" 4-bolt or V-band.

This is the least intrusive upgrade path. While there are bolt-on upgrade hybrid-turbos from various vendors, they all use the Turbonetics-style replica KKK turbine housing which is very restrictive. Fine for power-goals up to 300-320bhp, but the exhaust backpressure gets too high when you try to go above that. Search for "K26 replica housing" or such for plenty of posts on that. Pauerman (Vic) has quite a few articles all over the web.

BTW - anyone pushing a 60-1 turbo for a 2.5L engine doesn't understand turbos and their compressor-maps. That compressor can't even go beyond 15psi without being out of the centre efficiency island. The 60-1 is best for a big engine at low boost, such as a 5.0L Mustang running 15psi max.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JacRyann
Don't use the eBay turbos, they don't have dual ball-bearings and aren't of the quality of genuine Garrett. There's two model of GT3071R. The one you want is the external-wastegate version with T3 turbine-inlet and 3" 4-bolt (or V-band) outlet in 0.82AR.

The turbine T3 inlet flange has slightly wider bolt-spacing, but the flange on the crossover pipe can be slotted to fit T3. You'll need a 3" downpipe to fit the turbine outlet, either 3" 4-bolt or V-band.

This is the least intrusive upgrade path. While there are bolt-on upgrade hybrid-turbos from various vendors, they all use the Turbonetics-style replica KKK turbine housing which is very restrictive. Fine for power-goals up to 300-320bhp, but the exhaust backpressure gets too high when you try to go above that. Search for "K26 replica housing" or such for plenty of posts on that. Pauerman (Vic) has quite a few articles all over the web.

BTW - anyone pushing a 60-1 turbo for a 2.5L engine doesn't understand turbos and their compressor-maps. That compressor can't even go beyond 15psi without being out of the centre efficiency island. The 60-1 is best for a big engine at low boost, such as a 5.0L Mustang running 15psi max.
I guess that makes some sense as I told Lindsey I wold only be running 17 psi max. I've read the map for the 60-1 hi fi as well, not sure how different it is in the t04e housing though? Probably no way to know without testing. I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't looking to find every last hp from my car. .. biggest criteria was ease of install, and I wanted to buy from Lindsey because they've been around a long time and treated me well in the past. I understand is actually very outdated technology....doesn't make me any less happy with my car the way is setup
Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

What turbo's have Lindsey and Vitesse been selling for years ?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blade7
What turbo's have Lindsey and Vitesse been selling for years ?
They're never going to tell you!
Hybrid turbos have been around for years and years

Quick Reply: Turbo advice needed