Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weird issues w/944 Turbo after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM
svtsnake99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issues w/944 Turbo after rebuild

Alright im in need of some guidance. The last year's project had involved a built engine block I purchased off of another member on here. The stock head was attached and a new super 61 was fitted as well.
History: The car sat for 3 years after a blown headgasket and it had about a 1/2 tank of e85 and premium blended in it, cylinder wall was scratched so were replaced the block. I wanted to upgrade the turbo for some time. After the job was done, it drove but backfired if accelerated to much (after new L dme chip) it shuttered badly. I filled it up with premium and added c foam and Heet water remover. The car hardly idles consistantly, when it does, if any acceleration is given it backfires and dies. No improvement after the new gas and plugs, fuel filter looks stock and in the process of changing. I replaced the plugs, wires aren't old in use but have a few frayed points in the outer covering so I'm ordering new ones.*

Could the filter cause the car not to accelerate? A VW mechanic friend was quite entertained with the constant backfiring when trying to accelerate the car in the drive way. My wife didn't care much for it however since it sounded like a 45mm glock being fired in a small area, lol.

Help appreciated
Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you running on all 4? Check those injectors, a big vac leak or possibly the wrong fuel pressure, if you went with a bigger turbo, your fuel maps need changed. And a 3 bar fuel pressure regulator. Post a video
Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM
svtsnake99
Intermediate

I'll try the video upload this week. It' had a 3 bar regulator, 52lb injectors lindsey racing fuel lines. It seems to be running on all 4 but not much change after pulling number 4 plug wire. I checked ask vac lines with Dave Lindsay and he said it looks right.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Dump all the Lindsey stuff and get the Rogue M-tune package.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM
svtsnake99
Intermediate

Rouge was a waste of time. I tried reaching Jason for 6 months and finally gave up. I'm not dumping another grand into programing. Thanks though
Old 06-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Rogue stuff is now bought through Lindsey Racing. At this point in time it's either Rogue or stand alone or you are wasting your time anyway.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by svtsnake99
Rouge was a waste of time. I tried reaching Jason for 6 months and finally gave up. I'm not dumping another grand into programing. Thanks though
Maybe you should have tried Joshua at Rogue instead .
Old 06-11-2015, 01:10 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rogue tuning M-tune is great but that is not the answer to your problem. If it were me I would check some basics such as compression and double check your timing belt marks are lined up. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I would also check fuel pressure.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:20 AM
JacRyann
Racer

What size injectors?
What is position of FQS switch?
Do the chips have transfer-function that matches the MAF?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:29 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I dont know why everyone sayin get rid of the Lindsey stuff there nothing wrong with it. It prolly has NOTHING to do with the problem. Everyone please tell me why you all knock his stuff so much I been running it for alot of years with no problems. And put down more power then almost all of you here( not just Lindsey stuff on my car mind you) . Especially Rogue.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:55 AM
svtsnake99
Intermediate

Default Back fire and stall issues fixed!

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
I dont know why everyone sayin get rid of the Lindsey stuff there nothing wrong with it. It prolly has NOTHING to do with the problem. Everyone please tell me why you all knock his stuff so much I been running it for alot of years with no problems. And put down more power then almost all of you here( not just Lindsey stuff on my car mind you) . Especially Rogue.
Ok so after almost five years of this car sitting, due to 2nd blown head gasket, a divorce, sitting at a mechanic friends for a year and another shop for 6 months! So the guy I hired to put the new slip block in the car and a super 61 Turbo failed to set the timing correctly with the marks on the crank and he forgot to put the set screw back in the rotor of the distributor!!! Oh and the bolts for the exhaust and one for the engine mounts.

Needless to say its finally running and now I can't drive it as there is snow everywhere

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That's good and bad. I would kick that dude in the baby maker real hard to make sure he couldn't have any kids, so stupid doesn't spread of it's not to late. And good thing you found his mistakes. Check for more. And your DME setup is just fine with LR chips. I'm going to do the same when I upgrade my turbo and exhaust. Right now I have 20+ year autothority stage 2 with MAF and put down 300 hp at the rear tires or more with the boost turned up using a k26-8. I haven't been impressed with M-tune myself, but Joshua is extremely smart! Looks neat but when it was released the people who installed it seemed to complain about not having as much power as their old chipped DME setup and bad idle problems. They probably have that worked out but I'm still a bit standoffish on that setup. It's a good feeling to have your car back on the road again isn't it. Mine has been being rebiuld for the last year and still on jack stands so I can understand. Summer will be here soon enough to enjoy your car. Remember kick realy hard! Good talk.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I would double check the timing belt, make sure it is correct. Also, do you have a wideband? How does AFR look?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check also for pressure/vacuum leaks in the air systems.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might wanna check to see if the balance shafts are set correctly as well.

Quick Reply: Weird issues w/944 Turbo after rebuild