Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another Illusive Rattle - Driving me Crazy (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016 | 08:29 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

still try and smack yours if you have not to rule it out

Mine are new and powder coated and fastened solid in place. There is even about a 3-5 mm gap. Those shields flex at ton on mine...in fact i think it is actually bouncing off the brake rotor. I will be crawling under my car tomorrow and will take some photos.

I remember when I discovered it I tried prying on the shield to move it further away but they are pretty darn stiff.

The vibration on my shield happens mostly pulling in and out of the garage. Other times just random. I have not driven it since finding the source since I'm doing a bunch of work on the car.

best of luck hope you can find it

Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic202
I thought the same thing, but on mine it isn't the shield. They are secured and not touching anything. My car sounds like a rattling bucket of bolts over bumps and I hope securing/removing the canister will fix it.
Old 01-03-2017 | 03:29 AM
FRANCOCORPS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pitt944T The Catalytic Converter can cause the noise you described when it's core falls apart in the enclosure and rattles. Did you check all your exhaust hangers? Check the long heat shield over the torque tube. Bend all heat shields away from anything all around. There is a heat shield for the engine mounts on both sides. And there is a heat shield for the steering shaft that you should take a look at and bend away. The Starter has a heat shield as well. The oil filter and headers have a shield to bend too. Make sure you exhaust tip isn't touching your bumper. I know the rear exhaust is very close to the rear sway bar.

But as a last resort I had this problem from this rattle come from my Clutch smaller spring Dampeners fell apart in the holder. This noise drove me nut's until I switched it out when I did my full Car rebuild and swapped in a new clutch with a 951.116.911.00 clutch kit for my 1986 944 Turbo. This new kit when i received it didn't have those dumb small set of springs on the clutch that will fail. I don't know if the current version of this kit has the smaller set of springs now so do your research. A simple test can test this out by engaging your clutch from 1st gear engagement to a complete stop then listen and feel for slack in the reverses gear while it's engaged. Repeat process over and over. The idea is to feel little slack like a loose CV joint would feel but instead it's slack in the clutch.

The spring dampener holder fall apart and would rattle driving my nut's.

The stupid small springs

You can see the worn area where the springs sit and also the spring holder's tack welds broke. Causing this to happen.

Last edited by FRANCOCORPS; 01-03-2017 at 04:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Another Illusive Rattle - Driving me Crazy (LONG)