Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anybody ever run Toyo 245/35-17 R1R's on a square setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anybody ever run Toyo 245/35-17 R1R's on a square setup?

The cool thing about this unique tire size is that it has a very low overall diameter of 23.8", so it will effectively create a significantly higher numerical final drive ratio compared to the stock tire size, plus it weighs only 23 lb. I have a square 17 x 9 wheel set-up on my 968 mostly-track car, and am very happy with my BFG G-Force Rivals (245/40-17 size), but I'm considering the Toyo's. But on the downside, it's an old tire, and it seems to have been surpassed by many newer models. It came in close to dead last in the only tire comparison test I ever saw with it, but of course that was a different size, on a different car. I'm most likely going to stay with the Rivals when my current set wears out, but the thought of potentially exiting corners a couple hundred rpm's higher is tempting. So, any direct experience out there with this exact tire and size?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well not exactly with your setup or tire, but since I didn't see a response, I'll chime in. I've run a square set up with 245/40/17 Hoosiers on 9 inch rims and loved it. Not sure of the overall diameter but it did increase my acceleration over the 245 16's I was using previously. So, other than the traction difference between different brands of tires, the lower diameter is an advantage. Can't comment on the grip between the two, I've not run the Toyo tires before.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, but I was really looking for some direct experience with this unique, but seemingly promising, size, which happens to only be available in the R1R, and a Falken tire of some kind that's less track-oriented. It all seems to be a tradeoff - all things being equal, the low overall diameter of this tire should be a real advantage, but on the other hand, if it has inferior grip to newer, higher-rated tires like the BGF Rival and the new Bridgestone RE-71R, you wouldn't be able to carry as much speed through the corner, and therefore not realize the potential advantage of the effective higher numerical final drive ratio of the 35-series tire.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever run Toyo 245/35-17 R1R's on a square setup?