Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

APE chip expected boost curves

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Update:

I did get the car to run 15 psi plus peak, dropping to about 13 psi with APE stage II chips and jetted banjo. Unfortunately in preparation for a track event, I swapped/replaced many fuel/electrical/exhaust components all at once, so I cannot directly attribute the increase/repair to any one thing.

Without the jetted banjo, the car peaked about 13 psi and then dropped to about 11-12 at redline. So the APE chips alone will increase the boost curve from stock. But also the jetted banjo does influence the boost curve all the way to redline, which is more than I thought.

This is consistent with an 86 Turbo that was at the same track event, and also confirmed by a prior 86 Turbo owner that used both stock and Stage II chips in the past.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, you can manage boost with the KLR programming, but this is an inconsistent exercise depending upon the strength of the wastegate spring. On one car you might see 13psi max-boost and on another it will be 10psi. That's why the AutoThority Stg.2 chip-kit includes three different banjo-bolt jets. You would go through all of them through trial & error and select the one that gives you 15psi max-boost in 4 & 5th gears (will be lower in lower gears). You can also fine-tune yourself by picking Weber DGV carburetor idle air correction jets as well to get spot-on with the 15psi that the chips were programmed for. Although the three jets APE includes typically is sufficient to get you within 1psi of that target.

the wastegate really is the biggest variable. With the same calibrations on the ReliaBoost-1 controller I send out with my chip-kits, I've seen actual boost-levels of 12-18psi.

Quick Reply: APE chip expected boost curves