Oil pressure gauge/indication

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 02:45 AM
Gentleman Jack
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge/indication

Hi guys!

I got a question/problem with the 944 turbo -89; the the oil pressure indication has gone bad after engine wash. When i put ingition on the oil pressure gauge indicates max./above 5 bar. When engine i started, it stays there at max. and never drops. I have driven the car a few times up to 30 min. and still max./over 5 bar-indication.

Where should i begin? Does this mean a faulty oil pressure gauge or faulty electrical/wiring?

Any help is very much appreciated!!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:51 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Replace the oil pressure sender or inspect the wires going to it. Passenger side of the motor, its round
Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Gentleman Jack
5th Gear

When replacing the oil pressure sender, do i need to remove the Power steering unit close by? Or is it possible to remove the oil pressure sender alone?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:13 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like many things on this car, replacing the sender is a PITA!!! Make sure you don't buy a URO, buy the real VDO from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. The best price on a real gauge. 50% of the aftermarket ones don't work and you Don't want to do this again. Get ready for the oil to pour out too when you remove it. It takes a 15/16 or 24 mm wrench. You will need a stubby version if you don't pull the PS lines. I would recommend removing the PS lines. It makes this job much easier. Good luck.

PS: pay close attention to where the wires go, take a picture. They are polarity sensitive, only work one way!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Gentleman Jack
5th Gear

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Like many things on this car, replacing the sender is a PITA!!! Make sure you don't buy a URO, buy the real VDO from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. The best price on a real gauge. 50% of the aftermarket ones don't work and you Don't want to do this again. Get ready for the oil to pour out too when you remove it. It takes a 15/16 or 24 mm wrench. You will need a stubby version if you don't pull the PS lines. I would recommend removing the PS lines. It makes this job much easier. Good luck.

PS: pay close attention to where the wires go, take a picture. They are polarity sensitive, only work one way!

When working underneath with the car on a lift, with a stubby 24mm it should be possible to replace the sender without messing around with anything else, Power steering pump, lines etc.?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge/indication