Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Still troubleshooting bad DME or klr suspect.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Mark924S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill have to give that a whirl when i get home. Im not entirely sure the no start is fuel related so much as spark related. If i remember correctly the spark on these cars is a nice blue white spark and fairly loud. The spark im getting is orange brown and very quiet i checked it from every wire and the coil wire its the same spark thru out. what would cause the car to dump fuel? Ive replaces the temp sensors and checked the wiring. I believe these cars start and run with the o2 sensor working or not... it might be a stretch but in one of the threads on here some one was diagnosing a weak spark condition and found the transistor on the dme to be failing or something to that extent. I have opened the klr yet. Im wondering if when i bypassed the klr it took enougg resistance out of the ignition circuit to make it work and it fired up. I will definitely try the tps disconnected see what happens. Is it possible ive totally fuel fould these plugs an cleaning isnt helping?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

the spark should be strong. But the go/no go test is the gap the spark will jump. The spark should jump at least a 1/4" gap in free air. Fuel soaked plugs will short circuit the path for the spark, with a carbon trail. Check the open spark across a clean plug.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 91 C2
the spark should be strong. But the go/no go test is the gap the spark will jump. The spark should jump at least a 1/4" gap in free air. Fuel soaked plugs will short circuit the path for the spark, with a carbon trail. Check the open spark across a clean plug.
Be sure to ground the plug well ...
Old 05-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Mark924S
Advanced

Yea grounding right off the block it has a hard time bridgeing a the factory gap.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark924S
Yea grounding right off the block it has a hard time bridgeing a the factory gap.
Have you checked the voltage at the battery and at the coil itself? Does the starter crank nice and strong?

Did you answer the question about whether this a stock car, or if you have after market MAF, etc?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Mark924S
Advanced

Yes the car uses a maf, i have battery voltage at the coil, starter is also new and is very strong. Unplugging the maf did nothing. Going to pick up another set of plugs the set im using now are new but drenched in fuel from test cranks.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Which MAF? Some require changes inside the DME. If yours uses a stock DME, can you trying swapping it for a known good one? If you had an MSD6 box and coil handy, you could try it to test your weak ignition theory, since you seem to have a pulse. Can't say I've seen a DME that failed to create a weak spark but I've learned to never say never about the DME. Maybe post a video of the spark in case you are being too critical of it? Hard to know from these posts whether it's really the ignition or if your AFR is out of whack for some reason...
Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Mark924S
Advanced

Sorry busy week at work, its a hitachi unit and for the m tune i did have to modify the dme board so i dont think a stock dme will work at all.
Tom what would a msd box and coil tell me? When i got the car i unknowingly drove it for a year and a half with an aftermarket 1.5 ohm coil i swapped to a bosch oem last year after i put on the maf kit it worked fine never had any spark issues until just recently. I tried to do continuity tests on the cap and rotor and i only get resistance readings on my multimeter

Quick Reply: Still troubleshooting bad DME or klr suspect.