944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First DE this weekend... Holy @$#!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003 | 08:45 PM
RJP 951
Racer

Skip, I live in Chardon. I grew up in Mentor and moved here about 13 years ago. We really love it "out in the country".

I have some other weekend commitments this month (attending the U.S. F1 Grand Prix among other things!) that would keep me from other driving events, but I sure would be interested in the future.

I've spent the last 18 months just sorting out my car and making it reliable, and adding the performance goodies that I just couldn't resist. Now I want to learn to drive it, but also feel the need to take it easy and not over-indulge. We'll see how long that lasts!

I agree that Nelson is a good place to learn. By the end of the day yesterday I was getting moderately comfortable, working at my own pace, but still driving pretty aggressively. On my last session with the instructor, he said I was hitting the exit point coming out of the carousel at 80 mph, and saw 110 mph well before "the kink" on the back straight. The car was eager to continue accelerating briskly, but that's about where I chickened out and starting backing off before the hairpin at turns 12 and 13. Still, there were cars in my group that I passed twice in a single 25-minute session (beginner/novice group, of course).

I tried signing up for the NOR Mid-Ohio event in July but was too late. In retrospect it's probably better that I started where I did. I can build up to dealing with things like elevation changes and a 1.5 mile back straight.

The open days at the track sound like a great way to tweak and measure progress. What are the "rules" on the track? I.e., is it similar to a DE as far as passing, etc? How many cars would you typically see on track?

Look forward to seeing you at the track some time.

Ron
Old 09-08-2003 | 09:11 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Dan,

I'm probably just going to do a couple of open days at Nelson. We just had our third child this spring so with a 6 yr old, 2 year old, and 6 month old, time and cash are both in short supply. What about you - anymore schools? Now that you're a Clevelander can we con you into to coming out for an open day. A Nelson open day would be prime for playing around with that slick lipstick camera setup of yours.
Old 09-08-2003 | 09:44 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Yo Skip.. I'm hurting this year for track time too.. my excuses include a new job, a new house, a new daughter (now a 3 yr old and a 3 week old) etc.. I'm scheming to replace my winter beater with a tow vehicle and really broaden my tracks.. I've got some scrubbed-in Hoosiers that I want to wear out before they harden up. It sure was hard to leave that Mansfield "Track House" behind, we close on it Friday. (Now that the Gentleman's Club went BYOB!!) .she's a gonner. Have you been out to Beaver Run yet? I'd love to come to an open day, it's been about 6 or 7 years since I've been on Nelsons'..is it getting better or worse?
Old 09-08-2003 | 10:23 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Congrats on your first DE, welcome to the club. Where in NE Ohio are you?

You folks out there in Rennlist land have never heard me mention it, but I've got to now. My older brother was on the pit crew for fast Freddie when he ran that first 944T at Nelsons. He's got pics of it and plenty of stories and knowledge. He's a factory master porsche tech and attended the 1st 944fest and did most of the work on my car. Unfortunately, we no longer are on good terms for reasons I won't bother you with. Spare me the "he's your blood brother" speeches for I've tried and he continues to give me the cold shoulder. He lives 5 miles away and is yet to meet his Niece, he wouldn't walk outside the house to see her. He's the only sliver of my life that is not "ideal", and I guess I can live with that. You don't want to know what he thinks of rennlister know-it-alls.. Sorry for the OT rant, but in a small way all you 'listers, especially the 'Fest attendees and Cuz, have gone a long way to replace the disfunctional relationship I have with my only sibling. (Man, I almost deleted this post 5 times, but I want to release it) Someday, over a beer, ask me to tell you about it.. it is quite a tale.

::sigh::

Dan, I'll be your surrogate sibling.....

Tifo
Old 09-08-2003 | 10:49 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Ron - its good to see another Chardon guy on the board. I fairly sure I've seen you around since I've a red and a white 951 running around that area and I can't believe there are a whole lot of 951's in the Chardon area.

Hmmmmm - rules for the Nelson open day. I'm fairly certain the only one is to make sure your cash is real. Seriously, there aren't a lot in the way of formal rules other than no passing in the corners, but the open days are primarily populated by DE'ers so everyone pretty much adopts standard DE rules - pointing to pass etc., and if someone steps out of line they will hear about from their fellow drivers. I have done quite a few of the over the past couple of years and have had very few problems except for the occasional ego guy in a high hp car who can out drag me in the straights and doesn't want to let me pass, but a quick comment to them in between sessions has always cleared things up. As far as amount of cars there typically is only about 15 - 20 cars although towards the end of the season you may get a day with 30 or so. Altogether usually you can get a ton of great track time, and there are always some very experienced drivers and/or instructors who are more than happy to hop in your passenger seat and give some impromptu instruction. I recommend it if you get a chance. Just keep an eye on their website, and shoot me a PM or make a quick post on the list here and I can let you know if there is a group of us coming out for a specific day.

http://www.fastone.com/Nelson99/03Calendar.html
Old 09-08-2003 | 10:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Thanks, Tifo.. Thats decent..that's what it is, decent!
Old 09-08-2003 | 10:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Dan - I heard about your new girlie - belated congrats. We had 2 boys and my wife brainwashed me into trying one last time for a girl - and thats what we got luckily. Are you gonna try for a boy or is this it?

I think Lou, my brother, and a couple of others are going to try to get out Saturday Sept. 20th, but I'll let you know for sure - haven't exactly told my wife yet.

The track may even be a bit better than the last time you where their, the repaved a couple of small sections, with the most important being the kink. Its not good by any means, but I always enjoy myself. Its a pretty laid back atmosphere and you can get a ton of track time in. Shoot me your email address @ skips951@aol.com and I'll send you an email.

Last edited by Skip Wolfe; 09-08-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:14 PM
RJP 951
Racer

Skip, is it the "FunDayz" on their schedule that you're talking about?
Ron
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:31 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Yup.
Old 09-09-2003 | 12:58 AM
Neward P

I've been tried to guess what is DE mean, but I am not that good. Can anybody tell me what it stand for?

Skip. http://www.fastone.com is just for motorcycle. I want to see if they have anything for cars.
Old 09-09-2003 | 07:00 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

DE= Drivers Education. Skip, check your e-mail!
Old 09-09-2003 | 09:30 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Neward,

You are right www.Fastone.com is a Motorcycle based homepage, but if you look down at the bottom of the page you will find links to Nelson's homepage or you can use the following address to get the schedule at Nelson's:

http://www.fastone.com/Nelson99/03Calendar.html

Also here is Nelson Ledges homepage:
http://www.fastone.com/Nelson99/Nelson99.html

When you look on the schedules it is the Fundayz that you are looking for. I do not recommend going to the Fundayz if you have never done a DE unless you can find an experienced person to go with you to guide you through everything. As anyone who has done a DE will tell you, your first DE can be a bit overwhelming.

For a very comprehensive list of DE across the country check out:
http://www.trackschedule.com/

Quick Reply: First DE this weekend... Holy @$#!