Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rear suspension bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:19 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Grease nipples have tapered threads and you should have used a matching tapered tap. The taper allows you to get the indexing correct.
Not being a jerk, but do you understand how this works? Shouldn't have a problem getting the indexing correct.

Top tip: dab of Loctite 290 post assembly is good insurance.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Just to be clear: the grease nipple should lock up on the taper, not the hex land.
Cheers,Mike
Old 05-29-2015, 02:07 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just changed bushings to a S2 cab. I first figured out it can be done as it was wrote on Elephant Racing instructions.
After awhile i decided to drop the whole axle. I did it because i found out dropping the whole axle takes less time than working in a small space. Also you must re index torsion bars, which is quite painful to do when axle is installed under the car. Indexing was easy to do when axle was out the car. I also got a perfect opportunity to clean every part properly. Also it was easy to verify that both torsion bars were indexed the same way. I used Slovenian made Prekom bushings which are a perfect choice if you prefer rubber bushing over more solid ones. Prekom uses a bit harder rubber compound than oem ones. What comes to trailing arms, no need to remove them. I just removed bolts and supported them under the cars. So i didn't have to touch to the brake lines and handbrake cables.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Slovenian made Prekom bushings which are a perfect choice if you prefer rubber bushing over more solid ones.
Why I didn't know about this vendor when I rebuild my suspension??? I guess they are cheaper that Elephant Racing however I cannot find anything about prices and shipping in their catalog.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Grease nipples have tapered threads and you should have used a matching tapered tap. The taper allows you to get the indexing correct.
Not being a jerk, but do you understand how this works? Shouldn't have a problem getting the indexing correct.

Cheers,
Mike
Just to be clear: the grease nipple should lock up on the taper, not the hex land.
Cheers,Mike
No I don't know how that works. The Elephant Racing instructions didn't say anything about a tapered tap. When I bought the replacement fittings, they were marked for a 1/4-28 tap, so that's what I bought. It sounds like I've ruined the end caps...I don't think I can go to a bigger size to fix it.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:54 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers,
Mike

Not according to the manufacturers:
1⁄4”-28 Taper Thread Fittings are used on most cars and trucks, as well as many industrial machines. It is recommended that SAE-LT taper threads be assembled into 1⁄4”-28 UNF, Class 3B, straight threaded holes having a modified maximum minor diameter of 0.2151”, to ensure 75% minimum thread height.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:54 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I emailed ER about this and they confirmed that a tapered tap should not be used. They said they should be snug enough and still rotatable, but if not then a small amount of blue loctite should help.

That of course is based on the grease fittings they supply, but my replacements looked the same to me, except for the thread pitch, so hopefully that should still apply. I'll compare them again when I get home.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:15 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Ok, my bad. Guess I've learned something today!
Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: rear suspension bushings