Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Laso water pump thermostat seal question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering if anyone knows if new laso pumps come with the inner pressed in thermostat seal installed.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IICR mine did. all i did was put the thermostat in and the clip that holds it. Mine was hard to get in though. I had to use a press to push it in enough so it locked.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Well I got my pump and it has the seal....but it was not a laso but a geba (branded as German made oem on the seller website). Metal impeller (urghhh) and quite ordinary workmanship. Internal machining quite rough, including the bore where the inner thermostat seal sits which is only about 80% open. It came with 2 roll,pins installed to locate....but they of course don't fit in the block case holes, so I had to remove them. There was also a small horizontal hole in the casing which runs into the side of one of the bolt holes....and it was plugged with a bit of clear epoxy. Might need to seal that bolt with a bit of sealant.

The original pump lasted 26 years. Next time I'll go Porsche. I figure this pump will need to be replaced in 5 years given the risk of the metal impeller grinding the block if the bearing fails.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Eric , the Geba pumps are quite good & all 944 / 944S2/951 / 968 water pumps ( meaning 2.5 or 3.0L pumps) be it Genuine Porsche or Laso or Geba wear outwards , they never ever wear inwards to meet the crankcase , that is because the constant tension of the cam belt pulls the waterpump bearing shaft with a slight outwards pressure , thats why we always see the water pump impeller ( if its still attached ) grinding into the rear of the water pump housing , but never ever in the other direction

We generally see between 10 to 15 years on average life spans on 944 ( all versions water pumps ) , some time more & sometimes less , I have never ever seen 26 years

Now that I think of it , if the old one had a plastic impeller( the one that fell off ) , I think that was introduced much later than the year type of your'e 944S2 , meaning all the original Porsche water pumps from 1982 to about 1992 had cast steel impellers , the plastic versions came later , so if I am remembering correctly that pump you just removed is probably the 2nd one it has had , which would be about right
Old 05-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the reply Bruce. The original pump was date stamped 89 so it is probably original. What's with the locating roll pins these come with. Don't mate with the holes in the block. Do you remove them or cut them short so they don't protrude past the face of the pump?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eric, my pump that came out had cast wheel and my laso had cast wheel.

Quick Reply: Laso water pump thermostat seal question