Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Minimum necessary for cluster to function

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Nick-Ricky
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minimum necessary for cluster to function

I have carefully & with purpose gutted the interior of my 1986 951. I traced all wiring, replaced all old and brittle & neatened up. Replaced most all of cooling system, all fuses.... Should I be able to connect the A-B&C connectore to the back of the cluster & expect it to operate? I only have a red light indicating connection to the battery - nothing else.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nick-Ricky
Old 04-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Nick-Ricky
AutoX

Default Might as well reply to myself

There is a red plug in passanger footwell that mates to a red plug which feeds a-b-c plugs in back of cluster

all works as should except the temp gauge, which at key pos 2&3(run) temp gauge is automatically at the top

temp switch & sending units at head appear new, I have re-done the wires on both about 3" back, with protected fem connectors, and a generic square snap clip thing

back to the elec wiring diagrams !!!

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick-Ricky
There is a red plug in passanger footwell that mates to a red plug which feeds a-b-c plugs in back of cluster

all works as should except the temp gauge, which at key pos 2&3(run) temp gauge is automatically at the top

temp switch & sending units at head appear new, I have re-done the wires on both about 3" back, with protected fem connectors, and a generic square snap clip thing

back to the elec wiring diagrams !!!

Any help is greatly appreciated
You can test the sensor itself with a multimeter. Go to www.clarks-garage.com for the procedure and test values. If the sensor is good, then test at the cluster to make sure the signal is getting to the cluster and not shorting along the way. If the signal gets to the cluster ok, then it's either the cluster connections (edge connector, circuit board film, connection points) or the gauge itself. If you get to that point, you can pull the gauge out of the cluster and test it separately to know if it's the culprit or if its the cluster....
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Nick-Ricky
AutoX

Default Thx

Can you help me better see through the fog re:

The square plug sensor & the spade one - does polarity matter? Square plug to dme I guess looks like it has 2 brown wires

Thx
Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick-Ricky
Can you help me better see through the fog re:

The square plug sensor & the spade one - does polarity matter? Square plug to dme I guess looks like it has 2 brown wires

Thx
I'm not sure what you are asking. Go here:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...19.htm#coolant

Test the sensor with the spade connectors, as it controls the gauge. The other temp sensor is for the DME and is irrelevant to the cluster, so forget about it.

Quick Reply: Minimum necessary for cluster to function