Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intelligent intercooler sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:14 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Intelligent intercooler sprayer

I found an interesting article here sprayer article on an intelligent controller for an intercooler sprayer. This is an external sprayer rather than an aquamist type system. Looks like it has merit and you can buy the module for 70-140USD.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen that article before. I used to be an autospeed member. great site for info.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:58 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

It touches on what was discussed in here before about having cooled IC pipes, in that the increased performance is from air going through cooled pipes/surface and not trying to cool an already hot pipe or surface. Much easier to keep something cool that is already cooled than to cool off something that is already hot.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:02 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

In another post I mentioned I was working on a dual stage water injection system, as most of the research I had seen shows only small gains from water sprayer as opposed to injection. But I considered a dual stage because one injector would be before the intercooler, cooling the charge and thus the intercooler, then the other injection point after the intercooler at a higher boost level to cool, but mostly as anti knock to just run more boost.

I NEED TO GET ON THIS!! Got most of the parts, just gotta sit down and get it all together.

Any comments on how effective the pre IC injector would be in possible cooling the IC as well as the charge air??
Old 09-05-2003, 10:04 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

WOW, that is a cool web site. Did a search on Porsche and got some good hits.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:03 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Pre-IC injector would have the task of working with the hottest gas and therefore the largest delta t. Depending on the speed of the gas and the resonance time in the injector region, you may or may not find enough gain to warrant the cost of adding this stage to your system. Conversely, this could be where the largest gains are found based on the large delta t depending on the effectiveness of the heat transfer.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:39 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I have decided against internal water injection because I wouldnt want to rely on it to run higher boost (in case it failed and left me with high boost and detonation). But some external spraying of the intercooler to limit heat soak is an idea I like. Using an external sprayer I would not increase boost beyond what I would normally run.

For around $100 I wouldnt mind seeing how effective that intelligent IC sprayer is. I have enough to worry about getting my car back on the road at the moment though so it will be a little while before I get onto the sprayer setup.

Quick Reply: Intelligent intercooler sprayer