Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 AM
PorscheSouth
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd noise

I know how much we all love the wierd noise descriptions, so I thought I would post one for any initial ideas on what it could possibly be. I have a very strange noise that just started comng from my '87 951 engine compartment. It is not constant, but when it occurs, its fluctuations are directly proportionate to the RPMs. It is a whirring sound that could be likened to what the teeth of a timing belt running over a rounded plastic piece might sound like. My timing belt was replaced within the last 15k miles, and I'm pretty sure I had him do the balance shaft belt as well. All "should" be well there, but lets face it, sometimes even the fresh stuff can premaurely fail. I took off the power steering belt years ago, so its not the PS pump, but it sounds slightly similar to what they sound like when these lovely racks have lost most of your PS fluid!
Thanks for pondering yet another ambiguous noise description, and I would also like to mention, not necessarily related, that I just flipped the 200,000 mile mark last week! I really love this car.

P.S. Thank you guys for being here. I have enjoyed and benefitted tremendously from this board for years, but I had to create a brand new ID since I cancelled aol earlier this year, amd forgot to change my mail here, so there was no where to mail my forgotten password!
Old 09-06-2003, 05:30 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Did you have tension check on timing belt since the change? Must be done erery 20 k km or approx. 12.5 k miles.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Flight_951
Pro

My alternator went bad with the same symptoms. Just because the noise is moving with the engine rpms, still could be an accessory. Can you pop the hood and stand there listening while increasing the throttle at the throttle body? I would suspect that's what the mechanic will do before he digs in on something (hopefully).
Old 09-07-2003, 11:55 AM
PorscheSouth
2nd Gear

Flight 951, I used a makeshift "mechanics stethoscope" (rubber tube), and you are right on the money, it's the alternator. Whew! Relief. 201K miles, and still charging, I reckon she deserves a new one. :-)

Thanks you guys! (I needed the TB tension check reminder too Turbinek, I haven't done that.)

-Michael

Quick Reply: Wierd noise