Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intake concept question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Bas. Do you have the specs on your stacks? Do you have a pic/s of the stacks sitting inside the plenum before it's sealed up? The reason that I am considering the 'side taper' is only due to size of turbo and heat etc. Seems like you've clearanced yours while retaining a thick plenum all the way across. btw, how thick is your plenum from top to bottom ?
I'll make a photoshoot tomorrow and get you the measurements as well!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
I did the dual-plenum intakes both on my 931 2litre engine and my 2.5 16v. Inside the main plenum are 70mm velocity stacks:

Nice setup! Proportions look good, obviously works well also.
Cheers
Mike
Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

So we're back on this path. Having been in discussion with Michael Mount about one of his beautiful intakes we have decided to still do one ourselves down here. Time and packaging being the primary reasons for not going with the MM version.

As you can see we have had a new flange made up. One of the concerns was the size of the inlet ports and the lack of 'meat' to make a good seal with the flange. (1st pic showing 'before'.) So they machined across the port to make it perfectly flat and then cnc'd the bore of the flange to suit the port shape but brought it back to round with a recess for a neat and easy weld of the runners.

I'm now considering making one of these 'dual plenum' style intakes if we can make it fit. The two constraints being the ducted cooling cores and wanting to keep as far from the turbo as possible for heat.

Another question I'm wondering is how big to make the tapered plenum and also how big to make the opening between this and the main plenum? I anticipate running this motor up to 28psi potentially. Not sure what sort of physics are involved in determining these questions? Any guesses?
Attached Images     
Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dual plenum are really more suited for cars that run restrictors where flow is not an issue.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Wondering on that logic Rod? I mean you assume that the main benefit for the dual plenum is to get the most even flow possible, no?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Is it me or does the runners look smaller than the port size?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea it evens out the flow when you have to optimize what little you have due to the restrictor, its good for distribution.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dual-plenum has nothing to do with restrictors. Group B cars did not have any constraints yet they used dual-plenums (Audis).
When you throw air into a plenum at high velocity a lot of times the cylinders will be fed different amounts of air because much of the air tends to push toward the back of the plenum. The dual plenum allows air to be pushed into the first plenum, and then move through a small opening into the second plenum which causes the air to equal out and supply all of the runners with the same amount of air.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Is it me or does the runners look smaller than the port size?
The port size is larger than runners available. Not by a lot but it is what it is. While there may be a little neck where the runners are smaller in diameter I can't see it creating too much of a restriction. May even improve the Ram effect?

Originally Posted by thingo
Yea it evens out the flow when you have to optimize what little you have due to the restrictor, its good for distribution.
We will probably go with the traditional single plenum/throttle setup but I can't help but assume as long as the 'slot' between the two plenums is at least as large as the throttle body then it could work quite well. Speculation of course.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Dual-plenum has nothing to do with restrictors. Group B cars did not have any constraints yet they used dual-plenums (Audis).
When you throw air into a plenum at high velocity a lot of times the cylinders will be fed different amounts of air because much of the air tends to push toward the back of the plenum. The dual plenum allows air to be pushed into the first plenum, and then move through a small opening into the second plenum which causes the air to equal out and supply all of the runners with the same amount of air.
So are you saying that the 'slot' is designed to create a restriction itself? What did you base your 'slot' size on?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:58 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

probably higher velocities.
I'm quite surprised you guys haven't played with ITB setups yet. With that you could play with runner lengths if you had different length runners with flanges on either side & o-ring seals. Easily swap one length for another length.
Or make them variable length, by making a tube slipping into another. and holding them in place via silicone hose and clamps.
Nothing out of the way from Paul's fabricating skills.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

It wouldn't be so difficult Pauly but it's always a matter of timing and often budget. I have kind of relegated the idea of something really trick to the 16v motor if/when that gets done.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:09 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I made the slot 25mm wide, so that the area will be equal or a bit bigger than trumpet inlet areas combined. It does not create any restriction but it allows the cylinders to get equal filling. I verified this by checking each cylinders EGT and examined plugs under a microscope. No need to trim fuel individually.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It wouldn't be so difficult Pauly but it's always a matter of timing and often budget. I have kind of relegated the idea of something really trick to the 16v motor if/when that gets done.
I know you're always aiming to achieve high and go places no man has.
But i always wonder about when you say "budget" haha.

There's so much id like to try with an intake. but for me it's time.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Ha, well despite appearances, there isn't an unending supply of cash...more's the pity! We are also hoping to 'defend' our state title for what it's worth and there isn't time to make something prettier.

Quick Reply: Intake concept question?