Transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Ivan G.S.
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission noise

Hi,

I have a noise in 1st and 2nd gear when I stop pressing the throttle and start cruising, it is just in these two gears.

Any possibilities?

Thanks,
Old 09-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Is this a new noise or has the car always done it? What the age/mileage of the trans?

944 transmissions do make a lot of bearing/gear noise, especially when not under load (coasting coditions). Youll hear it more in the lower gears/lower speeds because wind/road noise is less and doesnt drowned out the trans whirring as much. Youll get a good rattle in neutral with the clutch out too.

If its something that has become worse recently, it could be the pinion bearings starting to wear out. Change out the fluid and check the condition of the old oil if it hasnt been done in a couple years.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Ivan G.S.
7th Gear

Thanks Oddjob,

Coasting that is the word I was looking for!.

My car is supposed to have 25,000 miles. My mechanic has record of it until it was 11,000 miles over 5 years ago. With only one owner during that period of time.

I´ve had the car for 1 year and it has always been the same. I will change the oil as soon as I can. Can you recommend any brand or viscosity?

Iván
Old 09-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I like to use synthetics. Mobil 1 and Amsoil, but there are also others available. 75W 90 and 80W 90 are in the factory spec range and are the common viscosities that are readily available in either synthetic or regular organic.

I cant imagine that a car with 25,000 miles would be having any problems with the transmission yet, unless it was beat on badly. The fluid should be fine with such low mileage, but due to the possible age of the fluid it wouldnt hurt to change it out.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Ivan G.S.
7th Gear

Oddjob,

I´ve just changed the oil and it´s a L O T!!!! Better.

Thanks,
Iván

Quick Reply: Transmission noise