Tranny Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:59 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny Help!!!

Was out driving last night as the rains finally stopped and cooled off a bit here in Orlando. Was getting on it a little and noticed a couple of times from 2nd to 3rd hard shifts, it did not go into 3rd. or at least the revs were the same indicating no gear change had been made. I then eased off and shifted through the gears in a less aggressive manor and it shifted fine.

Tranny going???

How do you do a drain and clean/flush on the transmission?? Just needs new gear oil?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Two plugs on the driver side of the transmission. 17mm allen wrench needed. Bottom one, right below the CV axle is the drain. Upper one is the fill hole.

Drain the fluid when warm.

Fill level is 6-8mm below the bottom edge of the fill hole. I use a small allen wench, stick the short end of the "L" through the hole to measure the fluid height.

2-3rd upshift problems, could be a synchro, but you will usually see problems with a down shift first. Any grinding? Clutch disengaging/engaging ok?

What do you mean by a hardshift? Shifting without letting up? Id stick with the less aggressive manor.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:46 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

No problems downshifting. Just up from 2nd to 3rd and first time it has done this since owned it. Had the car about 2 years now.

Hardshifting, meaning just going through the gears under hard accel.

No, not powershifting, clutch is always engaged.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:48 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

What type or grade of gear oil do you use??? I would assume mine has never been changed.

Is there anyway to do a good flush??
Old 09-01-2003, 02:42 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Todd ; make sure you get the fill plug out before you drain it. Once in awhile the fill plug is frozen in and then you have an empty tranny you can't fill.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:58 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

WOW, good point!! I would not have thought of that, thanks!!

Could just see myself in the garage with an empty tranny yelling at the top of my lungs, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 09-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Id recommend a synthetic, Mobil 1 or Amsoil and there are others 75W-90 or 80W-90. If the fluid hasnt been changed in a while or ever, the plugs are usually pretty tight. Ive had to use a jack to push up on the 17mm allen wrench against the weight of the car, to loosen them.

Did you actually move the shifter from 2nd into 3rd and the trans did not shift gears, and it was still fully engaged in 2nd? Possible your shift linkage is coming loose on the transmission selector shaft. But I would think once it slips or pops out, it would not pop back in on its own.

Worth checking while youre replacing the the fluid. There is a hex head set screw/bolt that holds the linkage rod onto the selector shaft. Its under the rubber boot on the top/upper drivers side of the trans, up from the fluid fill plug. Ive known of cars where this has vibrated off and the bar slides off the selector. The bolt should be set with locktite and there is also a hole through the head of the bolt to use a wire tie wrap.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:51 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Toddk911. If you can't find a 17mm Allen key. You can use any VW wheel bolt (17mm) and put two nuts (they will lock each other) on the end of it ,so you then use a regular key on the inside nut to loosen the drain plug first. Even better,if you have access to a welder,get two VW 17mm bolts welded together,to make your tool. Hope this will help.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:54 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Did you actually move the shifter from 2nd into 3rd and the trans did not shift gears, and it was still fully engaged in 2nd?"

This is exactly what happend. Went out yesterday a few times and was ok. This makes me think, yes, linkage might be working itself loose.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Quick Reply: Tranny Help!!!