Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

15k mile turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15k mile turbo

I can see oil baked onto my plugs and in my intake tract. About once a month at a traffic light, I'll get oil smoke out the tail pipe. I do NOT have the restrictor on my hybrid turbo.

My rings and cylinder walls are in excellent shape, my cylinder head is brand new, and all my plugs are uniform and intentical. I"m convinced my turbo is on the way out. I wonder if making an oild restrictor would do anything at all now?

I think either this winter or next winter, I'll be investing in a GT30.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Isn't that turbo practically new @15k miles? Who built it for you (and why don't you complain to them)?
Ahmet
Old 08-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

It is pretty darn new, 2 years. But there was no warruntee on it. I guess you just have to have faith in the tuner you deal with.

tough luck for me.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the people that sold you the turbo. The "tuners" don't make these turbos, nor do they assemble, balance, or modify them.

They are all sent out to places like Turbonetics, Innovative, Majestic, Turbo-Performance, etc.... for all the work to be done.

The problem is not the turbo. It's your oiling system/oil drain system.

These turbos, while producing big HP numbers, just don't match up to the 951's oiling and drainback setup.

Further, the innards of your turbo (and mine for that matter) do not have any device to keep oil from being pushed out.

The only "seals" are piston ring type seals, and ther function is to keep boost pressure, and exhaust gases out... Not to keep oil in.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:12 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Tony, I'm well aware of who made the turbo.... do I sound like I'm bashing a company? I'm just sharing my expiriences with my community.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:27 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luke

I never implied you were specifically bashing a company, but rather your frustration was directed at the abilities of the people that built the turbo, which was in turn resold to you.

All I did was to point out that it is not a bad turbo.

You could purchase a new turbo and very well have the exact same problem you have now. Then what?

Quick Reply: 15k mile turbo