Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air Filters: Does Size Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:39 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dash01
As a filter filters, it gets progressively less able to take in the flow. The progressively smaller passages then mean increasing aerodynamic drag, which increases exponentially. So, if smaller passages wind up with 2 times the air velocity to let the engine breathe at a given rpm, there will be 8 times the drag.

Better to use a larger filter, which will last longer before it becomes too restrictive.
If you want better flow, go with the K&N. If you want better filtration, use a paper filter.

Check this page out:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/
Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by snb13
If you want better flow, go with the K&N. If you want better filtration, use a paper filter.

Check this page out:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/
Interesting. What it doesn't take into account, or at least I may have missed, was the condition of the filters, pre-test. Now don't get me wrong; it makes no sense that he did the test with varying aged/used filters. However, how were the gauze/oil lubed filters prepped?

I'm not disputing his tests. I'm just pointing out something that made me wonder. A wetter filter tends to hold more, than a dryer filter, when dealing with that type of filter, all being within spec.

Either way, thanks for the link. Should be good for additional discussion.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, so, by and large, we've hit the basics, with some interesting replies, especially in regard to the K&N info. As that is a filter that MANY people run, perhaps it's worth posting up not only why it's not correct, but how other 951 guys can figure out for themselves, how to procure the proper size filtration for their own application. specifically, 951's, of varying sizes.

ps I'm doing this to perhaps create a "goto" type thread, for the average guy, or in the case of 951's, kid, to get REAL, and accurate info, rather than crap.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The K&N formula is a good starting point to point you towards the minimum size. A lot depends on the filter medium and what the pressure drop is per square inch. The K&N filters are a cotton type medium vs a more traditional paper filter. The pressure drop across the K&N type filters are lower so you can get by with a smaller area. Despite which type you use the more square inches the less the pressure drop. It takes power to move the air through the filter. So the less the pressure drop equates to less power used here that can be used elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Air Filters: Does Size Matter?