Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Battery: Vented?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 05:17 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery: Vented?

I'm sure everyone has faced this situation so I did a search and evidently didn't do it right....so I'll have to ask.

1986 944 Turbo battery finally died. The battery in the car has a vent hose, although I've never had a clue where it connects.

1. Where should the vented hose connect?
2. Is a vented battery really needed? If I find a appropriate batt without the vent can I use it?
3. Wal-mart lists the battery but doesnt stock. Any cost effective suggestions? (The car sits in the garage 99% of the time with a trickle charger. I'm not too big on Sears).

Thanks in advance! - Mark
Old 08-31-2003, 06:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you don't need to buy a vented battery. If you want to go with a maintenance free lead liquid acid battery the International Group 41 fits fine.

If you are going with a gell cell or dry cell you may need to lay them on their side so the terminals clear the hood and cook up a new hold down strap. The stock battery is sort of short, about 6.9" high.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:04 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Non-vented battery

I just went through a little cleanup exercise with a vented battery.
I run an e-stock turbo 944 racecar and the battery that was in the car had about a 4" vent tube just laying in the battery compartment.

This is a big no-no. The acid went all over the box area and ate the paint away. I had to remove the battery, neutralze the acid, clean it, put on a rust inhibitor and then paint it again.

not too hard, just a needless pain in the butt.

Anyways, I just replaced my battery with a no acid gel race type battery.

I ended up using a Hawker Odyssey 925. Just ran it this weekend and it works great. And it is lighter than the stock battery. Only 23 lbs (I believe).

It is small enough that I mounted it vertical in the normal place and the battery posts were in the correct orientation so the cables reached.

I did however have to fab up a little mount system oto bolt it down. Pretty easy with parts from an autoparts store.

I paid $105 for the battery.

I originally tried an Optima since I had good luck in other race cars,with it, but it weas too tall for this car.

Norm
Old 08-31-2003, 10:59 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. My WalMart doesnt seem to stock the size indicated in their catalog for a 944. Sears does not have a listing. The AutoZone web site says "not yet available".

Any other stores that y'all have had success with? I'd like to get it running tomorrow....
Old 09-01-2003, 12:35 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I added the vent hose to my un-sealed $50 Sam's club Champion battery. I cut it so there was enough hose to reach 4 inches down into the drain hole.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:46 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Mark, can't you read? Just ask for an International Group 41 battery and if the clerk doesn't know what you are talking about just ask for the highest manager that is on duty. That is a BIC world wide convention standard. You could walk down to any Sears and get a DieHard in a second. Well maybe a couple minutes to ring up the payment. This is not a special Rocket To Mars Battery.

Tom, you do not want to run that hose chopped off at 4 inches into the drain slot. You are asking for acid corrosion that will be a bitch to fix. Toss that battery away and get a sealed maintance free battery.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:08 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. As I mentioned, I don't support Sears, but will use the info you offered to get a replacement someplace locally. I appreciate the help.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Battery is 65 AHr / 300 amp, same as in an audi 100 / A6/A8 and the heavier motorised VW Passats.
You should be able to get these at any next door supplier.
TakeCare
Old 09-02-2003, 03:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Mark, if you don't want to buy from Sears, that is fine. The local shops with a good sized inventory on hand should have it. You don't want to mail order this as the shipping charges will kill you.

Hans, batteries in the USA are advertised in their cranking amps and cold cranking amps (@ 0* F). Quick discharge on the order of 600 amps is the norm. So, if you walked in and said 65 AHr/ 300 amp you would really get a blank stare, worse than Mark is getting already. But you are right that these are really common batteries that he should be able to find at any good local shop.

Quick Reply: Battery: Vented?