Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

coupler trouble need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:24 AM
lsejnoha
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coupler trouble need assistance

So i am attempting to do a clutch job on my 951 and it seems the coupler sleeve connecting the tranny to the torque tube is on really tight. Does anyone know if the allen bolts holding the coupler on are torqued down tremendously. has anyone ever had a problem loosening these two allen bolts to remove or slide the coupler. or do i just need a breaker bar to loosen thes two bolts. I may try to heat them up a little with a blow torch and use some liquid wrench to see it makes it any easier. Im thinking they just need to be un torqued. does anyone have any advice as how to remove these bolts so that i can dismantle my tranny from my torque tube so that i can replace my clutch. Or am i not using enough pressure to get these loose. i dont want to break anything. Please any help will do.,
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

You will need a breaker bar with allen socket. These are tight, but 40-50 foot pounds should loosen the bolts. Remove the bolts from the coupler before sliding the coupler around. Do hold good pressure on the allen so as not to strip out the head.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would also recommend a good 1/2 drive allen socket set. I bought a decent set of westward ones from Acklands. 3/8 drive may break on you and damage the allen bolt.

I might be doing that exact job today. Just need to finish pulling bell housing off and yard out crank and hardware from the block first.

Quick Reply: coupler trouble need assistance