Quieter Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Quieter Exhaust?

Okay, I've zipped up my Nomex so here goes....

I've currently got the 3'" Fabspeed cat bypass exhaust on my car and while it does open up airflow for the turbo and looks great, it's also quite loud and I get the occassional pops from not having a cat. Well, I'm getting tired of being "warned" by the local authorities so I'm looking for something that will quiet things down a little, get rid of the pops (yes I know that means going back to a cat), and basically get me out of trouble with the locals but still give me better performance and flow than the stock exhaust. Any suggestions? Something with a performance cat perhaps?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 01:23 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

G'day Dwayne,

Stirring up the local cops huh ? I think you will find that adding a 3" performance cat to your fabspeed will probably solve your problem as it will kill off most of the popping and may be a little quieter as well.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:00 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How about just trying to fit on a resonator?
This will cure your problem of noise and possibly absorb the excess fuel/fumes you seem to be igniting.
Don't worry I have the same result with my 3" no cat exhaust, but I don't get hassled by my local cops, YET anyway.
Have fun
Old 08-30-2003, 06:39 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

you know the saying"when performance increases,it gets louder!"try putting in 2 resonators,ive heard of someone on the board with that setup.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:43 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dwayne, on the popping sound - for me anyway, purchasing the Lindsey BOV pretty much stopped most of the popping for me.
I have the complete SFR 3" and sometimes the wife complains a little. So my solution was this: I still had the whole factory setup,
so I had a local shop cut the factory muffler off at the back. He then welded on a 4" pc of three inch mild steel, expaned it just slightly, split it
on both sides. So now if I need to quieten the car down I just swap the mufflers out, takes about 10 minutes. BTW, since I have the WBO2,
that swap increases richness about .1-.2 over the entire range of boost from where the car was tuned with the SFR bullet.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:30 AM
threesticks1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ROW exhaust in the PET has a resonator inplace of the cat. Maybe some of our European friends can compare exhaust sounds for us here in the States.

Quick Reply: Quieter Exhaust?