New 944 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 PM
StuckIn86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944 owner!

Hey guys!
Glad to be apart of the family finally, well here she is. my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. Boy is she a beaut. Named her Brandy since she is aged and matured like a nice strong drink haha Excited to be involved in the threads and learn more about these cars. I just love the lines of this thing! Anyways, my name is Dylan and I'm 22 (going on 23 in March) located in NE Ohio and soon to be Nashville, TN come June of this year. I bought this car off a gentleman in Green Bay, WI. He was the third owner making me the fourth. Sounds like a lot of moving around but not really. The 2nd and 3rd owners never drove this car. The guy I bought it from didn't even know where the e-brake was if that tells you anything. This car is solid though. Inside and outside are immaculate for being 29 years old and all original. The inside looks brand new, and the outside has the normal wear and tear of a car this age but nothing major at all, original paint! I had to replace the master and slave cylinder so I am officially part of the 944 family haha Not to bad of a job though if you ask me, master was the worst getting it out. I plan on doing little modifications here and there but will be keeping all the original parts so when I go to sell it I can sell the car with the original pieces if the buyer wishes to have them. Just put in a MOMO steering wheel last night and love it. I like how it gives you a little more leg room with the extra dish on the wheel and length from the hub adapter. If you want to know anything more feel free to ask! I guess I will stop here so I dont have a book for you to read. I tend to ramble. Hope you like her cause I LOVE HER!

1 MORE THING - The last picture I posted of the rear windshield, you see that black plastic piece on the right side of the brake light? WHAT IS THAT?! I haven't been able to find another 944 (yet) with one of those and I have no idea what it is. I thought it was the antenna but I was told that it wasnt. Hoping you can help me out with figuring what that thing is.

Thanks Guys,

Dylan
Attached Images           
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 PM
StuckIn86
Intermediate

also wondering what the 2nd lock is behind the drivers door? Thoughts? It doesn't seem to do anything. Cant get my key to turn in it.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I love my 951 and wait until you start with the mods. These cars are great stock or modified, enjoyment level never ends. And if you don't spool up all the time, the gas mileage is great. have fun and welcome.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 PM
StuckIn86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
I love my 951 and wait until you start with the mods. These cars are great stock or modified, enjoyment level never ends. And if you don't spool up all the time, the gas mileage is great. have fun and welcome.
Thanks! & other than the momo and just maintenance stuff the only other mod I plan to do is just putting a borla on it. Nothing major at all. I plan to keep it mostly stock for awhile.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 PM
bumflick
Racer

I plan to keep it mostly stock for awhile.

Famous last words.....

Welcome.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome, love black on black...

That 2nd lock is the factory alarm and was typically a different key.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StuckIn86
also wondering what the 2nd lock is behind the drivers door? Thoughts? It doesn't seem to do anything. Cant get my key to turn in it.
The second lock is for the stock alarm system. It has it's own key, if I recall correctly. If turned, the car will not start.

Welcome to the club. There is a ton of info here, and you also need to immediately bookmark www.clarks-garage.com It is a site loaded with how to info and manuals.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also, get used to remembering where the parking brake is, and get used to turning it off every time. It's pretty common for new guys to destroy their parking brakes. Do you know how to work the sunroof yet?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 AM
mikec944
Instructor

Looks great! Now replace those 28 year old fuel lines so the car doesn't go up in flames.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:24 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mikec944
Looks great! Now replace those 28 year old fuel lines so the car doesn't go up in flames.
+1 yeah. THAT!
Immediately. Also, how long since the belts and water pump were replaced?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Greetings from Nashville!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 AM
StuckIn86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brantley
Welcome, love black on black...

That 2nd lock is the factory alarm and was typically a different key.
AH HA! It was driving me crazy not knowing what that way. Any idea about what that contraption is on my rear windshield?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 AM
StuckIn86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ehall
+1 yeah. THAT!
Immediately. Also, how long since the belts and water pump were replaced?
Unfortunately the 1st owner passed away and thats how the 2nd owner (his friend) got the car. I do not have any records from the first owner as to when or if it has been done. That is on my list of things to do as well as the fuel lines, spark plugs etc etc. Also, clarks garage was the first boomarked 944 page on my computer. So glad I found that website. Wow is that amazing. Already used it for the master and slave cylinder and much more. lol
Old 02-12-2015, 07:13 AM
StuckIn86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ehall
Also, get used to remembering where the parking brake is, and get used to turning it off every time. It's pretty common for new guys to destroy their parking brakes. Do you know how to work the sunroof yet?
I do know about the parking brake. At first when messing with it in the garage just looking around and getting comforatble with the car I can deffinetely see how someone can leave it on. And the sunroof, yes I do. The 3rd owner had a 20 page print out of how to work it and how to replace. I don't know why because it works completely fine with no issues at all lol

You wouldn't happen to know what that piece is on the rear windshield by the brake light would you?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 08:20 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice looking car. The thing on the hatch looks like an aftermarket cell antenna from way back. That did not come on the car from new.

Quick Reply: New 944 owner!