Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cat back exhaust opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:36 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Cat back exhaust opinions please

I did alot of searching and reading but never found exactly the right thread. Also, it's more fun to get direct input.

I want to get an exhaust upgrade. I just passed emmissions but will need to again in 2 years. I am looking for better performance and a little bit of a better exhaust note; sporty but not loud.

I am leaning towards the SFR, Lindsey has one, and the Fabspeed but it is the priciest ($799).

Any help would be great! My current mods are in my sig. I don't plan on anything else, other than exhaust and some proper gauges, until I get my driving skill level up, alot.

TIA,

CB
Old 08-28-2003, 09:00 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can read a review that I wrote on the SFR exhaust for P-Caronline Here

I should have pictures of the exhaust on my Cardomain page within the next day or two. They are scanned, just need to upload them. Tim's work is awesome!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:13 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Thanks! That review seems like what I'm looking for.
I look forward to the pics. Did you go round or oval tip?

Not to be a goober but can you describe the sound? I am looking for a bit more "sports car" sound but not too loud. What do you think?

Thanks again,

CB
Old 08-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

I never ran the SFR catback on my car but it LOOKS aweome
Old 08-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SFR's 3" cat back and must say that oi-punx's review is right on. Fantastic craftmanship, great customer service, and a nice sound. I'm not sure how to best describe the sound. The tone isn't all that different from stock just louder. What's nice is when your tooling around town the sound is very unobtrusive, but when you get on it for a nice WOT run, the sound comes alive.

You can't go wrong with the SFR unit. Also Tim Richards, owner of SFR, is a long time Rennlist member and supporter and I will always go out of my way to support fellow Rennlisters who have made the leap from enthusiast to Porsche oriented business owners.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:28 AM
oi-punx
Racer

CanyonBlaster,

Skip's description of the sound is perfect. Pics are up on my cardomain site if you'd like to check it out. See the link in my signature. BTW I went with the oval tip/oval muffler.

Last edited by oi-punx; 09-01-2003 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:33 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

BTW I went with the oval tip - looks sharp.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:58 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

If anyone is interested, I have an SFR 3" cat back I'd love to sell. It's a round muffler/ oval tip - $450. It's just a bit loud for my tastes.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:38 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I have a 2.5" B&B on my NA, and I think it sounds great. Deep and rumbly at idle. Around 2600rpm is when the noise starts to pick up...all the way to 3500rpm. After that the noise picks up again at 4500 and the belt whine is very complimenting with the growl morphing to a symphonic howl at the back as the rpm climb. I get compliments anywhere I go from rice burner owners to Porsche enthusiasts like all of you. Now granted I have an NA so your turbo will sound a bit different. There is nothing like cruising through downtown in second gear at 2800-3600 and having the exhaust note echo off of the concrete buildings. Allllllmost sounds like a six cylinder at that point....almost. Very comfortable cruising note too. Wonderful craftsmanship and fit on the car. I think Windward is the most reasonable @ $650. No affiliation. I have hear many good things about the SFR setup as well. Check out GHL too.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:36 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I went with the round muffler and tip because that was what was available. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the oval muffler and round tip. The round muffler looks a bit ricey for my tastes. GREAT exhaust note; was out the other night and some fellow PCA's were at a local cruise spot. There were 2 996 Turbos, 1 928 GTS, 1 930 slant nose, and a 914 2.0 - all pretty sharp rides. EVERYBODY told me how great my exhaust note was coming in. I have been pleased enough to order the SFR 3" stainless test pipe as well...

Good luck! B
Old 08-31-2003, 03:19 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Thanks alot everyone !!

Quick Reply: Cat back exhaust opinions please