Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OK for 951 to be started and stopped frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OK for 951 to be started and stopped frequently?

This questions probably deserves some explanation...

Here is the thing, i recently relocated to NYC. And although i am paying out the *** for parking costs, I don't want to give up my 951 dreams. So, the plan is to ditch the current ride (no it is not a 360 modena) and pick up a nice condition 951. However, I have a main concerns:

I will be using the car as a daily driver so the car will be often moved aroung the parking garage as needed. This means starting the car in the morning in the basement, bringing it to the street level for me to arrive and maybe a few other occational starts the parking attendants have to do to move the cars around.

Now would this frequency of starting/stopping decrease reliability at all? I hope my question is clear....

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

After reading my initial post I thought I might need some clarification...it sounds kind of funny the way it is.

My concern is basically that I have heard that with older performance cars (i am thinking of the e30 m3 in particular) that with age they become tempermental and things like the battery running out quickly and spark plugs fouling up become an issue. Granted, I know that a 15yr old car is not a new car, and I know that maintenance is key....My question is more about whether anyone thinks that a well cared for 951 could still handle the sort of traffic (by this i mean different drivers starting the car to move it a few inches, then moving it back) without problems developing. Regardless, I plan to regularly excercise the vehicle, since I know these cars like to be driven. I hope this post doesn't sound stupid.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:34 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to NYC.

Any car gets beat up in a NYC parking garage. It's just part of the territory. The constant start/stops of a NYC parking garage aren't necessarily any tougher on a 951 than on any other car, I would think. E30 M3's were a bit more high strung than 951's.

I've been down this road before and given up on NYC parking garages, entirely. I'd rather park my car on the street or get a beater. The car WILL get dinged up and at some point, you're likely to find worse damage. I was fortunate enough to luck into a private secured garage in queens to park my car in but it's definitely not convenient to get to. I love NYC for a million reasons but convenience of owning a car is not one of them.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:27 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm, I never had any problems with my M3. I mean, I haven't yet. hehe
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that sort of start/stop use is good for any kind of car... so it'll boil down to how much you love the 951

Can't see it having a huge problem with it though, just make sure you'll have a good battery in there.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Hugh, you raise some good points and altnernatives...however, I need the car for everyday use, I commute to Englewood Cliffs NJ (right over the GWB) for work. Its only 9 miles each way.

Driving a beater would be so boring! Also, dings and such can always be fixed...i'm come to the reality that it will be difficult to keep the car cosmetically perfect, but mechanically is another story --- Hopefully.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Modena 1
Driving a beater would be so boring! Also, dings and such can always be fixed...i'm come to the reality that it will be difficult to keep the car cosmetically perfect, but mechanically is another story
NYC is a bad place to take any car. Frequent stop and starts are not beneficial for any vehicle.

Your car will certainly get dinged and banged around, count on it. If the dents won't get it the pot holes will ace it. Mechanically, well let's hope the garage jockeys will not entertain themselves too much with clutch dumping burnouts too often. Self parking garages are far and few but they can be found with extra hassle. Sorry for the negative feedback, grew up around there so I know
Old 08-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car's in good shape stops and starts won't be your problem.

Remember the parking garage scene in Ferris Bueller?

"Relax, you're dealing with a professional..."
Old 08-28-2003, 12:48 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

If you're willing to live with cosmetic challenges, you can probably get away with a parking garage.

Really depends on where you live. If you're going to be driving to work every day, you might not need a garage at all. Depending on your neighborhood, you might find it easy to park on the street after 6pm. The upper west side is full of street parking and even alternate side parking during the day. I travel during the week so when I do have my car out and about it's on the weekend. Street parking is pretty abundant in my neighborhood and I have a mental catalog of good spots.

If you get a 951, you might want to put the tow hook on. Lots of parallel parking by touch in NYC.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister used to street park her car on the upper west side. She hired a local kid to move it back and forth, and he smashed it up driving around one day.

I always street park when I visit, but hey, it's just a Taurus!

The tow hook is a great idea. Too bad you can' put one on the back too!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:36 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Everyone raises good points...

It seems however that most are concerned with the parking issue, which is, in fact not really the problem. I have already come to grips with the fact that until i decide to move out of the city, the parking garage is a reality.

As far as parking on the street, I have actually had the opposite experience. Parallel parkers in nyc are VERY careless and you can bet 100% on contact whenever a car moves...Also, parking on the street is a major PITA after an 11hr day. Even more of a risk is the constant truck deliveries, taxi cab drop-offs and dump trucks that pose an ominous risk to your car. (my current car was sideswiped and side view mirrors are often knocked off).

SO. Given this dark reality...I guess my real problem is with the car holding up...which I think it should. I'll be sure to keep you all posted. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:42 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Those big pads on the rear bumper do a decent enough job of deflecting light taps. It'd be nice if the rear bumper could take more than a light tap without being damaged, though.

As for the tow hook, I don't wish to puncture anyone's bumper but if you're going to hit me hard enough to cause yourself damage on it... can't say my heart is weeping for ya.

I may be the only person on the planet who puts on his tow hook for street use...
Old 08-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest issue would be rust, actually. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a long drive when the engine gets good and warm, any condensation from moisture in the air will get burned off by the heat of the car. On a short little trip the engine will warm up a bit, moisture will condense, but won't evaporate near as quickly because the engine isn't that hot. The result: rust, inside and out. That will end up being prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't recommend making a habit of driving any car you want to keep for a while for less than 10 - 15 minutes at a time minimum. Does that sound right to everyone?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by EZRider
NYC is a bad place to take any car. Frequent stop and starts are not beneficial for any vehicle.

Your car will certainly get dinged and banged around, count on it. If the dents won't get it the pot holes will ace it. Mechanically, well let's hope the garage jockeys will not entertain themselves too much with clutch dumping burnouts too often. Self parking garages are far and few but they can be found with extra hassle. Sorry for the negative feedback, grew up around there so I know

Peter,

Grew up in NYC as well.
I drive my 951 into NYC all the time, it takes the potholes fine, it's a great car to blast around in the city. That said. I always try and park it on the street. The garage jockeys WILL indeed destroy your car!
Maybe I have been lucky but in many, many years of parking my car on the street I have never even gotten a nick, granted I am choosy where I park it.

A friend bought a new A6, parks in a garage every day... it is a crime what they do to that poor car.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:33 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Epic has a good point about rust.

Quick Reply: OK for 951 to be started and stopped frequently?