Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cryogenics Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:24 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I will just keep woring on my water injection system. I wouldn't mind using the Cryo system to cool the water before it is injected. With a water/methanol mix, I could get the injection well below freezing. I have seen 1/4 time slips with non cooled water injection, then running ice water...went from high 13's to low 13's as the guy was able to add about 1-2 more psi on top of the normal psi bump from water injection and more advance. WITH NO DETONATION.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing is wrong w/ cross drilled as long as they are forged w/ the holes in them.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:38 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Seems a lot of people are going to slotted rotors now or slotted and drilled as opposed to drilled. But I have never heard of anything wrong with drilled.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Luke
nothing is wrong w/ cross drilled as long as they are forged w/ the holes in them.
Zimmermans?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

Bengt,
For some reason I didn't see it! Sorry. So, yeah, you were on the same path I was, but I wouldn't include air into the equation. Pull it out. Then use an efficiency ratio at the end to understand the energy transfer.

So, I think the best way to do the calculation is to remove the unknown from the equation, then make an educated guess on the unknown. In this case, the unknown is how much energy gets moved from the intake charge to the ambient air. Solving this is nearly impossible.

Don't forget, this system fully implemented cools the fuel too.

Sean
Old 08-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No huge problem with drilled rotors that have had the holes radiused and then cryo treated. Even so, they still eat pads faster than a normal rotor. Slots provide much the same effect but, it doesn't have the cool side effect of reducing unsprung weight which was one of the main reasons it was done in the first place.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:27 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Sean
My calculation gives you the maximUm amount of fuel you can burn with a certain tube size and 100% thermal transfer efficiency. Then you can guess the transfer efficiency. If you are spraying on the IC I would guess you can get 10%-20% efficiency, the rest will just cool the surroundings.

Pretty expensive. Just like Nitrous. 10kg is a big tube.

I can't see any value in cooling the fuel.

Bengt
Old 08-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

How about I report back with before and after dyno pulls on my buddy Booger's mad WRX with two DEI CryO2 intake bulbs in series? The new 4 wheel dyno is almost up and running. I don't think he's using the intercooler spray bar though. I kinda hate to alleviate the conjecture though.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:51 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Russ Murphy
How about I report back with before and after dyno pulls on my buddy Booger's mad WRX with two DEI CryO2 intake bulbs in series? The new 4 wheel dyno is almost up and running. I don't think he's using the intercooler spray bar though. I kinda hate to alleviate the conjecture though.
Hate to tell ya, but CJV tried those and he lost horsepower due to the restriction in the intake.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

What was his installation like? Was the bulb inserted into stock size intake plumbing or was signifacantly larger plumbing used to take into account the volume of the bulb?
Turbo car or NA?
Old 08-31-2003, 12:34 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Russ Murphy
What was his installation like? Was the bulb inserted into stock size intake plumbing or was signifacantly larger plumbing used to take into account the volume of the bulb?
Turbo car or NA?
700ish hp 996TT with enlarged intake piping.

The intake piping wasn't elarged further when they decided to try out the bulbs, though. They flow benched the bulbs in the intake piping and found a 5% loss. This 5% in flow went directly to a 5% loss of HP.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:39 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

where did you get this update adrial? I haven't been able to find any thing on CJV's car lately....
Old 09-03-2003, 09:24 AM
86944turbo
Racer

I called the company, DEI, they were of lottle help. I was told the C02 will last 30 sec for lg. spray bar @ full throttle. The problem with the Co2 is similar to the problem w/spray bar of Nitrous. You have to make Damn sure neither get near your K&N. Co2 will displace oxygen and nitrous will give you more. Mix 'em 50/50. If your K7N is in the engine compartment, have some fabricator make you a tube and move if back where Porsche placed intake. I'll pass on the spray bar. I have an H20 that works OK. Not great. Use Sunoco GT-Plus. Lots of toulene and Zylene. Prior to bar, I've seen 60+c intake temps. Way hot. I suggest both. Toulene, and cool that intake down. On cold AM, Ive seen 13C. Feels like 70+ h/p gain. I'm moving to the N. Pole. I did like the idea of the bulb in the intake. Cooler=more power and safer. Just hope it don't leak, like them darn trojns. Just kiddinng, son. Fuel rail????Cannot hurt. The reason AX use the bar, is due to heat soak while they wait and few straight to cool I/C down. my bar is set to work @ 39C. Around town, it would be on all the time. No more town driving. That 60+c is during 100F ambient and full boost through 1/2 6th. These cars do not like speeds below 80, or temps above 80.

Quick Reply: Cryogenics Intake System