Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

low boost question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low boost question

I have an 86 951 that has low boost. I have installed the LR chips, 3 bar fuel regulator, and all the vacuum lines I could reach without removing the intake. I installed a manual boost controller right at the banjo bolt and plumbed it directly to the waste gate. I installed and new aluminum BOV and deleted the cycling valve. With the boost controller at max, I am only getting about 5-7 PSI boost in 1st -3rd gears and up to 10 psi in 4the-5th. The car runs great overall, other than I cant get higher boost. I have installed a Wideband AFR and boost gauge. AFR is stoic under normal driving and rich under hard acceleration. I have done a cat bypass as well. I have run the test where I disconnect the boost control airline from the WG and there is no discernible change. Turbo isn't making any odd noises. So does this sound like I need a new WG or could it be the turbo ? I have not shimmed the WG yet, wasn't sure if I could expect to get another 8-10Psi with shims. Also should I expect that much difference in boost between low and high gears? Thx
Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked for a high pressure drop in the exhaust system?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Have you checked for a high pressure drop in the exhaust system?
by monitoring the pressure at the fitting on the crossover pipe? I have not. How would I instrument that in a temporary manner?

Quick Reply: low boost question