Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Christopher's 16v 2.5L 951 project.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why haven't they done it the first time - I don't know. Now i wanted comparison so i decided to do without and add 11% to the results.

Now to the point - better than yesterday, yet still nowhere near expected:

After optimistic sharp inlet correction of 11% it looks like this:
Lift. CFM

.050 56.2
.100 120
.200 200
.300 255.6
.400 295.3
.500 321.123

Last edited by Kris H; 04-23-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:33 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

What valve job angles and cut widths do these heads have on the intake side, if I may ask?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Finally the rods came (no idea who the manufacturer is, I ordered it through a local shop which commisions those somewhere - these are "proofed" by many guys here in Poland with much stronger engines, so I should be on the safe side).

The comparison IIRC:

Stock weighs around 840g,
techno5 weighs around 620g.

Yesterday i left the whole crank system with pistons and rods to full knife-edge and balance.
This time i left it in the best machineshop in my region..
After extremely bad experience with the cheaper guys who "pimped" my head, I have no time and no patience left to look for any $avings. Seems, the old truth is honest. Savings in builds will always lead to stuff getting ruined..

At least I managed to make the headshop promise me refund and a stock 944s head.. no idea where will they find one, but they have two weeks from now to fulfill it.

ptuomov - i don't know. sorry. And if you're asking about the angles those guys made for me, I no longer care. As soon as they pay me back, I will wave goodbye to the ruined head and I hope to forget the experience the sooner the better.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

So they ruined the head? What did they do with it?

Common practice with machine shops is that they don't listen to you since they know all, then they F*** UP big time and you have to provide them with another part and then if you are lucky they actually listen to what you have to say.

I bet they wont find you a replacement head in time. I had the same situation with 104mm cyl. block and they were unable to find it, so I had to.

Last edited by Voith; 05-08-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Originally Posted by Voith
So they ruined the head? What did they do with it?

Common practice with machine shops is that they don't listen to you since they know all, then they F*** UP big time and you have to provide them with another part and then if you are lucky they actually listen to what you have to say.

I bet they wont find you a replacement head in time. I had the same situation with 104mm cyl. block and they were unable to find it, so I had to.
1) It's not what they did. It's how they did what they've done and what they did not do despite being obliged to...
I really don't have the strength right now to point everything out but to mention just two most basic of endless ****ups - they honed the stems holding the shafts by hand instead of precise machining. I dont want to think of what could happen if i wouldn't ask another shop to measure those bores.. Basically vertical size was ok, horizontal was much to big and with visible edge standing out... Not to mention feeling it under fingers was not funny at all.. Second most basic ****up - they did ignore the fact that all the exhaust valve tubes (liners?) were in bad shape so that all the ex.valves were loose beyond the manual values.

2) ...

i'm boarding a plane right now, so will write some more in a few hours..

Btw - they found a head.. In germany... And i got an immediate phonecall that they did not realize how expensive it is and blablabla... Which means i will probably need to push them a bit harder.. I really hope for a happy end without sueing them.. Its such a waste of time.. For the time being i told them i'm fine with either 944s or 944s2.. In case they find a good one cheaper..
Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

S2 will only work with 2.7/3.0 block..
Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Kris H
Instructor

I know. I got one 3l block so i'm fine with that..
Old 05-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Kris H
Instructor

I'm about to buy a new set of wheels for the rear. I wanted something as light and rigid as possible, decided to go for OZ Alleggerita 10x18". I like the looks of Superforgiata and Challenge HLT much more, but those are more expensive and are not easy to get within the size I'm after.

So the question is - which will fit better for rear in a '86 turbo (original ET23 hubs):
10 x 18" ET40
10 x 18" ET 65
?

I would like to avoid spacers, and I somewhat feel like ET40 will get the job done without. Anybody can confirm or deny?

And second thing - anybody know how much do OZ Challenge wheels weight? Ideally 10x18, but for comparison any 5x130 weight would do.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:56 AM
Kris H
Instructor

I almost ended up with 2,7L on 968head but I finally found another good condition 944s head so the build can progress again..

In the meantime we almost finished body preparation for paintjob. I'm trying to fabricate cgt style lamps:

And fabricating alternative dashboard elements as there will be no center console in my car..

Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 AM
JacRyann
Racer

Originally Posted by Refpotsirk
So the question is - which will fit better for rear in a '86 turbo (original ET23 hubs):
10 x 18" ET40
10 x 18" ET 65
?

I would like to avoid spacers, and I somewhat feel like ET40 will get the job done without. Anybody can confirm or deny?
Yes, the ET40 will fit on the '86 951. You'll need 2.5" coilovers in front to clear. Rear may need some fender depending upon tyre size.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Originally Posted by JacRyann
Yes, the ET40 will fit on the '86 951. You'll need 2.5" coilovers in front to clear. Rear may need some fender depending upon tyre size.
That's some good news. I only hope i will be able to avoid modifying the rear fenders as my rear quarterpanels are glass fibre, and i wouldn't want to make them weaker.

Here's a small update - carrera headlamps Day2:

Last edited by Kris H; 06-18-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Refpotsirk
That's some good news. I only hope i will be able to avoid modifying the rear fenders as my rear quarterpanels are glass fibre, and i wouldn't want to make them weaker.

Here's a small update - carrera headlamps Day2:

Definitely need more info on this. Time it's taking, materials and what you will use to hold the lights in place. You going projecter?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:19 AM
Kris H
Instructor

αωpower - As for time and material, standby please - Up to the stage seen on the photos it took me approx 3h to make, but something went wrong and unfortunately they went out of shape big time. I'm not satisfied with how the lamp cases look now, so i'll have to redo those. The process is simple though, and there are nice video tutorials on youtube.
I'm not going to fit projectors, but a simple 105x165mm rectangular headlamps. The whole lamp will be held by simple aluminium slat + a few bolts. The casing's screwed to the body both at the rear and in front.

In the meantime I'm starting to think about the exhaust manifold design. I have a guy that can calculate it for me. Not sure how good he is at it though. We're going standard completely separate dual WG twin-scroll way. Seems to me that since twinscroll keeps the routes separate all the way to the turbine wheel, it shouldn't be that important to keep all four runners same lenght.. or is it? I was thinking of making each runner pair equal-lenght but different lenghts to the other pair.

Expert help needed:

Can I make the twinscroll manifold so that one pair of runners is shorter than the other, or should it be same lenght all four runners? I did not find any sources on that on the interwebs.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same length.

Its the bicycle pedals effect, do you want pedals on your bike to be 12 and 4 'o clock?

Quick Reply: Christopher's 16v 2.5L 951 project.